596th Bombardment Squadron

Dogsbody

Hi everyone, I'm a bit out of depth here regarding this patch (I normally don't collect post war patches) but the reason for adding it to my collection is the WW2 connection to my hometown Venlo in the Netherlands. After its liberation in 1945 US forces took over the former German airfield (Fliegerhorst Venlo became 'Yankee 55' also known as 'Venlo Hilton' because of its poor living conditions) and the 596th Bombardment Squadron was one of the units stationed there for a short period. At that time they flew B26 Marauders

Do you think this is a genuine patch or is it perhaps a commercially manufactured copy? I believe the design of the patch dates to 1963 when the 596th was reactivated.

post-169612-0-46258600-1582062576.jpg

Rene

Hi everyone, I'm a bit out of depth here regarding this patch (I normally don't collect post war patches) but the reason for adding it to my collection is the WW2 connection to my hometown Venlo in the Netherlands. After its liberation in 1945 US forces took over the former German airfield (Fliegerhorst Venlo became 'Yankee 55' also known as 'Venlo Hilton' because of its poor living conditions) and the 596th Bombardment Squadron was one of the units stationed there for a short period. At that time they flew B26 Marauders

Do you think this is a genuine patch or is it perhaps a commercially manufactured copy? I believe the design of the patch dates to 1963 when the 596th was reactivated.

attachicon.gifSAM_8447.jpg

Rene

Continued

post-169612-0-62684600-1582062724_thumb.jpg

Rene

Why in the world would anyone reproduce this patch, Wake1941?

Search it on eBay, half are fake that are listed. To answer your question they will fake anything to make a buck

Sorry looks like a reproduction to me

Thanks for responding, Wake. Just out of curiosity: what is it that gives this patch away as a copy/repro?

Rene

I think the patch is real because I do not think the fakers would use the canvas type material which is the backing for the shoulder title area and the lower portion back of the one that started this post.Ron Burkey has a unissued clean one on his site with the same backing as the one shown scan attached. Just My Opinion. Scotty

jpgo27.jpg

post-169612-0-62684600-1582062724.jpg

596thbsjktptch60susafrev.jpg

The 2 patches shown above are completely different from each other. Here is a repro on eBay of the patch above that is identical, if you check out the sellers other patches they are all made the same way.

eBay item number

I stand corrected you are correct and I am wrong.Thanks for the item number it helped a lot.scotty

I stand corrected you are correct and I am wrong.Thanks for the item number it helped a lot.scotty

If a collector/dealer knew everything about all patches would this hobby be any fun ?

Late to the conversation, but as stated already the OP patch is a repro. Why would anyone repro a fairly common patch? Because they are not collectors and latch on to the big, colorful, or whatever "cool" ones they see pop up. And they are getting better at it, but I don't think they will truly get there.

Randy