Bomber Jacket?

Stony

I usually see "bomber jacket" used by the uneducated civilian world as that is where the term was originally coined during and after WWII.

Recently I saw the term used on the forums, and I know it's anal on my part, but it's like hearing fingernails on a chalk board.

There are no military issue "flight" jackets that have the word "bomber" on the label. Flight jackets were used by fighter, cargo, spotter, and yes, bomber crews.

Rant over, thank you.

Yep, a number of incorrect terms for militaria out there. Two or three of them drive me nuts. However, trying to avoid a rant.

Wharf

You can always use correct terms when ever you are in a conversation?

Maybe it will catch on?

I use a mixture of both.

I don’t want to but sometimes I don’t have time to look up the correct term and I find the nearest cheap escape I can and use the incorrect one.

Sometimes I have to check several times until I forget it again.

Militaria and other types of collecting are full of things commonly called something other than what is on the label or in the government specifications.

If you list on ebay something like this US Navy JACKET, FLYER'S, INTERMEDIATE you technically would be as wrong calling it a "flight jacket" as calling it a "bomber jacket" but you would attract more potential buyers using "flight jacket" or "bomber jacket" instead of the formal name.

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.54.42 AM.png

Militaria and other types of collecting are full of things commonly called something other than what is on the label or in the government specifications.

If you list on ebay something like this US Navy JACKET, FLYER'S, INTERMEDIATE you technically would be as wrong calling it a "flight jacket" as calling it a "bomber jacket" but you would attract more potential buyers using "flight jacket" or "bomber jacket" instead of the formal name.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2020-02-18 at 11.54.42 AM.png

!

Spot-on!