Militaria in old TV shows.

WaA257

I was watching an episode of Barney Miller (for the youthful amongst us, it was a show about NYPD detectives in the 1970s) I used to watch this show with my dad as he was an LEO at the time. In the episode The Hero, I noticed that Sgt. Chano was wearing a M41 Parsons Jacket. In an episode of Highway Patrol a mechanic was wearing a pair of side-pocket WWII HBT pants. In other episodes of Highway Patrol I've seen several A2s as well. Given the time frame these shows were made, I have no doubt the stuff was original. Anyone else catch any old militaria now that cable is re-running the old shows?

What first comes to my mind is Welcome Back Kotter. Vinny Barbarino wore a USN G-1 flight jacket & Arnold Horshack wore an M-65 field jacket.

Rob

post-168-0-73739700-1581986573.jpg

One that sticks out in my memory was watching Battlestar Galactica as a kid. Not only were the fleet insignia the US Army's Military Intelligence branch insignia, but in one episode they were using M-16 20-round magazines (that I recognized from shooting my Dad's AR) with blinking lights added as explosive charges.

post-32676-0-90317900-1581987153_thumb.jpg

post-32676-0-05943000-1581987173_thumb.jpg

I saw an old Bowery Boys movie that featured a Hawley liner as a prop.....I also remember an Andy Griffith episode that showed what appeared to be an M41 field jacket....Another M41 like jacket appeared in an episode of Gomer Pyle, being worn by Sergeant Carter...Bodes

Saw 5 minutes of the munsters... two kids were rocking M1923 cartridge belts, m1910 canteens, m1936 suspenders, and what looked like a pair of m3 trench knives.

easterneagle87

Man! Gotta love this! This drives my wife nuts when I point something like this out! Battlestar G! was a fav back in the day.

I was watching an episode of Barney Miller (for the youthful amongst us, it was a show about NYPD detectives in the 1970s) I used to watch this show with my dad as he was an LEO at the time. In the episode The Hero, I noticed that Sgt. Chano was wearing a M41 Parsons Jacket. In an episode of Highway Patrol a mechanic was wearing a pair of side-pocket WWII HBT pants. In other episodes of Highway Patrol I've seen several A2s as well. Given the time frame these shows were made, I have no doubt the stuff was original. Anyone else catch any old militaria now that cable is re-running the old shows?

I saw that M41 on Sgt. Chano a few years ago. Good job posting about it.

Saw 5 minutes of the munsters... two kids were rocking M1923 cartridge belts, m1910 canteens, m1936 suspenders, and what looked like a pair of m3 trench knives.

Sounds like some of the kids I knew in Boy Scouts in the 60's/70's... including the trench knives.

• 3 weeks later...
SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

Never was able to make out the Mayberry arsenal exactly, but I think there was an Arisaka carbine

in the mix. Any body make a guess?

Never was able to make out the Mayberry arsenal exactly, but I think there was an Arisaka carbine

in the mix. Any body make a guess?

I think it's too short for an Arisaka.....I'm thinking maybe a Steyr or pre-20th century Dutch carbine...Looks European to me...Bodes

The Rooster

What first comes to my mind is Welcome Back Kotter. Vinny Barbarino wore a USN G-1 flight jacket & Arnold Horshack wore an M-65 field jacket.

Rob

This got me to thinking...

Actors and Actresses often wear their own clothing in movies and TV Shows.

We all know now that Travolta loves Flying so Its no surprise hes wearing the USN Coat because it was prob his. Then I took a look at Horshack.

His Father

Gabriel C. Paolillo

on Fold 3 has a daft card 2 pages long. Born in 1909 and died in 1950 when Ron was 1 or 2 years old.

Im not a subscriber so I cant dig deeper on fold 3 but... The Army field coat was Prob his too and

he prob wore because it reminded him of his Dad. Pure speculation on my part but I betcha....

Fixbayonets!

Good observations! It suppose it could be Ron's tribute to his Dad's service but the jacket did not belong to his father if he died in 1950. I looked at some other photos of him wearing it and it appears to be a M-1965.

Rob