Different M1 helmet colour and cork finish

skoczek443

Hello, I bought M1 helmet front seam with swivel bail but colour and cork finish is different than I've seen before. Is it post war finish or not US? Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wysłane z mojego VOG-L29 przy użyciu Tapatalka

You're welcome! These shells, if not damaged, saw service for 40+ years and were refurbished many times. I wore one during Basic Training in 1990 and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't at least one front seam in my company. I was too busy back then to stop and check everyone's helmets though! I still remember the squeaking sound the bales and clip-on chin straps, located right by your ears, made when you were running.

Does anybody know why this mossy camo got applied? I own a similar one and the shell even seems to be a bit heavier than normal. Must have been a pain to wear it?

Does anybody know why this mossy camo got applied? I own a similar one and the shell even seems to be a bit heavier than normal. Must have been a pain to wear it?

From what I remember, it was an experimental paint job from the early 60s that was supposed to be less glossy when wet. However, most soldiers were wearing covers by then, so the finish of the helmet was unimportant, so they just stuck with sand instead.

As for the weight, take this with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere that some of these used Cement powder for the aggregate in the paint.