Weekly World War One Wing #8 - Dallas Wing Patterns

cwnorma

Over the last few weeks there have been interesting discussions of so-called "Dallas-type" wings of various manufacturers. "Dallas" wings are perhaps the most famous, and quite possibly least well understood of all the World War One Wings.

To begin with, why; "Dallas?" Campbell (1991) related an interview with surviving World War One aviators who recalled the badge having the appellation; "Dallas" wing. Curiously, Campbell did not indicate if in his research he had uncovered any other "city" wings. One could easily envisage a "Memphis" wing (Homrighous), or "San Diego" wing (Jessop) however, if such monikers were ever assigned remains to be revealed by further research.

Unfortunately, even the term "Dallas wing" itself has come to be confused by many over time. Most collectors acknowledge a series of; similar, oversize, three-piece, sterling-silver wings, all sharing harmonious design elements, that can be considered to fall in the rubric of; "Dallas" wings.

Unfortunately this common understanding of the badge does not seem to extend very far outside the wing collecting community. I have personally seen everything from embroidered wings to wings made by Johnson Manufacturing Co (of New York!) erroneously labeled; "Dallas wings." Apparently for some unfamiliar with the history and jargon of the hobby, the term Dallas wing has become somewhat synonymous with "WW1 era wing."

One of the so-called "Dallas" wings that can be attributed to a specific manufacturer are those made and marketed by the firm of Bailey Banks and Biddle of Philadelphia, PA:

post-594-0-55963600-1581973629_thumb.jpeg

Once one of America's largest and most famous jewelers, today the company exists only as "intellectual property," with (as of 2019) only one remaining retail store. In 1918 however, BB&B was near its peak. One of the very few manufacturers of jewelry in the United States at that time that could boast a nation-wide reach, BB&B was one of the dominant forces in the industry. The firm also had a special relationship with the United States Government and like its competitor Tiffany and Co of New York could claim official designs of United States government seals and other medallic arts among its many achievements. BB&B had great prestige and could claim some of the very best artisans among its employee ranks. Little wonder then that BB&B would have produced perhaps what would become the "classic" WW1 wing. Certainly BB&B's entrant into the three piece sterling silver or "Dallas" wing market was very popular in its day and remains so among collectors today. Many collectors who only want to have; "one WW1 wing" choose BB&B's version of the "Dallas" wing to represent that era in their collections.

Why do you suppose there are no "variations" of the BB&B wings, yet there are several variations among less common makers such as Dunham or Eisenstadt? Was there a suggested design/pattern (in addition to dimensions) suggested by the government to the makers?

Over the last few weeks there have been interesting discussions of so-called "Dallas-type" wings of various manufacturers. "Dallas" wings are perhaps the most famous, and quite possibly least well understood of all the World War One Wings.

To begin with, why; "Dallas?" Campbell (1991) related an interview with surviving World War One aviators who recalled the badge having the appellation; "Dallas" wing. Curiously, Campbell did not indicate if in his research he had uncovered any other "city" wings. One could easily envisage a "Memphis" wing (Homrighous), or "San Diego" wing (Jessop) however, if such monikers were ever assigned remains to be revealed by further research.

Unfortunately, even the term "Dallas wing" itself has come to be confused by many over time. Most collectors acknowledge a series of; similar, oversize, three-piece, sterling-silver wings, all sharing harmonious design elements, that can be considered to fall in the rubric of; "Dallas" wings.

Unfortunately this common understanding of the badge does not seem to extend very far outside the wing collecting community. I have personally seen everything from embroidered wings to wings made by Johnson Manufacturing Co (of New York!) erroneously labeled; "Dallas wings." Apparently for some unfamiliar with the history and jargon of the hobby, the term Dallas wing has become somewhat synonymous with "WW1 era wing."

One of the so-called "Dallas" wings that can be attributed to a specific manufacturer are those made and marketed by the firm of Bailey Banks and Biddle of Philadelphia, PA:

attachicon.gifWWOW8 - 1.jpeg

Once one of America's largest and most famous jewelers, today the company exists only as "intellectual property," with (as of 2019) only one remaining retail store. In 1918 however, BB&B was near its peak. One of the very few manufacturers of jewelry in the United States at that time that could boast a nation-wide reach, BB&B was one of the dominant forces in the industry. The firm also had a special relationship with the United States Government and like its competitor Tiffany and Co of New York could claim official designs of United States government seals and other medallic arts among its many achievements. BB&B had great prestige and could claim some of the very best artisans among its employee ranks. Little wonder then that BB&B would have produced perhaps what would become the "classic" WW1 wing. Certainly BB&B's entrant into the three piece sterling silver or "Dallas" wing market was very popular in its day and remains so among collectors today. Many collectors who only want to have; "one WW1 wing" choose BB&B's version of the "Dallas" wing to represent that era in their collections.

Chris brings up an interesting point, why were the wings referred to as "Dallas" wings? I am not aware of Dallas being a great hub of aviation training during WWI, and there were no advanced flight schools there. If Eisenstadt in St. Louis was one of the main manufacturers of this style of wing, why were they not called "St. Louis" style wings? Or if BB&B was the main manufacturer, why not "Philly" wings?

I suspect this is a case similar to the so called "Juarez" wings of WWII, where someone thought the wings were made somewhere and the name stuck rather than the actual name(s) of their manufacturer(s).

Maybe it has nothing to do with Dallas, Texas. There was a George Dallas, who was from Philadelphia and a former vice president. There are towns named "Dallas" in the US and in Scotland as well that are not Dallas, Texas.

Chris brings up an interesting point, why were the wings referred to as "Dallas" wings? I am not aware of Dallas being a great hub of aviation training during WWI, and there were no advanced flight schools there. If Eisenstadt in St. Louis was one of the main manufacturers of this style of wing, why were they not called "St. Louis" style wings? Or if BB&B was the main manufacturer, why not "Philly" wings?

I suspect this is a case similar to the so called "Juarez" wings of WWII, where someone thought the wings were made somewhere and the name stuck rather than the actual name(s) of their manufacturer(s).

Why do you suppose there are no "variations" of the BB&B wings, yet there are several variations among less common makers such as Dunham or Eisenstadt? Was there a suggested design/pattern (in addition to dimensions) suggested by the government to the makers?

Well it depends on what you mean by variations. There are three distinct BB&B manufactured so-called "Dallas" type wings:

post-594-0-89196000-1582074091_thumb.jpg

There are two known variations of the 2nd Type BB&B Observer (but that's a future WWWOW post) and also a few hardware variations of the types of pins and catches used.

At least BB&B was kind enough to future collectors to illustrate their offerings in the wing market in advertisements:

post-594-0-08074600-1582074067_thumb.jpg

As to your second question, Perhaps it's my MBA talking but I think it's a question of "marketing." BB&B was a manufacturer. Their marketing strategy was apparently to mass-produce a limited range of an excellent quality product and market it nation-wide for a reasonable price point. For Dunham's part, he was a "manufacturing jeweler." He had neither the scale nor the reach of a BB&B or Eisenstadt. Dunham seems to have chosen to market a sort of "lego" system of badges where he could interchange wings and shields and that way provide a near bespoke product. Eisenstadt, similar to BB&B had scale and reach, but seems to have decided to market a very wide range of different wings ranging from die-struck mass produced to individually hand made.

To your final point, considering that they are quite oversize, and thus out of regulation, don't think there was ever a government suggested design or pattern. I think the best explanation of the so-called "Dallas" wings is that they should be seen as a sterling silver and gold version mimicking the design and dimensions of the most common American-made bullion embroidered wing.

Chris

Maybe it has nothing to do with Dallas, Texas. There was a George Dallas, who was from Philadelphia and a former vice president. There are towns named "Dallas" in the US and in Scotland as well that are not Dallas, Texas.

blind pew,

Perhaps it's apocryphal? The best I can do is refer you to the passage in Campbell (1991):

Several officers interviewed referred to this as "The Dallas wing" purchased by aviators who completed their flight training in that area.

In the writer's opinion, this series of three-piece silver metal wings mounted on blue wool represent the very finest of all the world's aeronautical badges. There is artistic balance in their elements, each is exquisitely designed, yet there is rugged masculinity in their overall appearance. None of the designs that followed after them has ever approached them in attractiveness, proving they never should have been discarded (p. 14).

I too have wondered this very question. Why "The Dallas wing?" Unfortunately Campbell did not document the names of the Aviators interviewed--making it challenging to do further research on them. As to the appellation, there are clues, but no hard evidence. For now the best we have is an interesting discussion!

Cheers!

Chris

Marty,

Great question!

My theory (so take it for what its worth) is that amongst the young aviators there probably were such regional monikers. They are probably just lost to time or are waiting for a long forgotten reference to re-surface and illuminate the question.

I have no doubt that some variation of the following conversation must have taken place:

- Did you see Lt Bevo's new wing?!?

- Yeah.

- That sure is a looker! The girls at the dance hall are gonna just burst their orbs over that one.

- Yep. That's one of them "Memphis wings." Bevo flew a nav up there last week with Capt Snuffy... Musta' bought it then.

- Lucky son of a gun...

- Yeah.

Damn Chris!

I had to look up apocryphal. That is my new vocabulary word for the day (and a good one).

I really appreciate you and Pat sharing your extensive knowledge on the topic of these wings, as the information you guys are providing far exceeds that available in printed material. I am accumulating wings to study; however, without this information, it is pretty difficult to piece together historical and physical information regarding these pieces.

I know it is an effort to put forth this stuff, so I must express my appreciation for what you guys are doing. I am certain that others are benefitting just as much. This is really good stuff!

Perhaps it was even a jeweler with the first or last name "Dallas". Who knows?

blind pew,

Perhaps it's apocryphal? The best I can do is refer you to the passage in Campbell (1991):

Several officers interviewed referred to this as "The Dallas wing" purchased by aviators who completed their flight training in that area.

In the writer's opinion, this series of three-piece silver metal wings mounted on blue wool represent the very finest of all the world's aeronautical badges. There is artistic balance in their elements, each is exquisitely designed, yet there is rugged masculinity in their overall appearance. None of the designs that followed after them has ever approached them in attractiveness, proving they never should have been discarded (p. 14).

I too have wondered this very question. Why "The Dallas wing?" Unfortunately Campbell did not document the names of the Aviators interviewed--making it challenging to do further research on them. As to the appellation, there are clues, but no hard evidence. For now the best we have is an interesting discussion!

Cheers!

Chris

One theory that I have is actually backed up by some official patent information. In October, 22, 1918, Clare L Semans & Edward Heiligman of Dallas Texas submitted and were awarded a patent (1,282,471) for military pilot insignia.

As you can see in the original patent drawings and descriptions, they demonstrate the "classic" three feather "Eisenstadt-style" Dallas wings.

However, in August of 1919, the Official Gazette of the US Patent Office determined that Semans and Heilgman were NOT the first ones to invent the style of military pilot wings described in the patent. Although by that time the question was moot anyway as the Adam's style wings were being adopted.

I was able to download the original patent drawings and descriptions for patent number 128471. A google search using patent 128471 will lead you to the primary sources in the Official Gazette.

At this point, there must be some conjecture if the source of the name Dallas wings (as a description of a three piece insignia mounted on a brass plate covered with fabric) originally came from the Semans and Heilgman in Dallas Texas.

A search of Clare Semans and Edward Heiliman in Ancestry finds both men working as salesmen for the E.M. Kahn Company in Dallas Texas in 1918.

The founder of E.M. Kahn & Co was Emanuel Meyer Kahn, a Jewish immigrant from Alsace-Lorraine, France, how started the business in 1872. E.M. Kahn's was a retailer of classy (i.e. expensive) menswear, and thrived for 92 years as a family owned business. It was the oldest retail store in Dallas. It is easy to see how this company may have been supplying officer's uniforms and accoutrements to pilots.

Interestingly, two other large Dallas Retailers, Sanger Brothers and A. Harris and Co. were associated with EM Kahn Co. Thus is is easy to see how a number of large retailers in Dallas could have been selling the 3-feather Dallas wings... But not by Eisenstadt but by one of these three retail companies based on the patent put together by Semans and Heiligman.

post-1519-0-64235200-1582172658_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-69750800-1582172666_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-13272200-1582172675.jpg

post-1519-0-48512000-1582172730.jpg

Some more searching shows that John M Spellman was a patent lawyer in Dallas Texas in 1918 as well.

I suspect the next task for researching these wings would be to check in vintage catalogs for E M Kahn, The Sanger Bros, and A Harris Co to see if they advertised WWI Officer uniforms/insignia/accoutraments. I think that is likely to lead to proof that the "Esienstadt 3 feather Dallas wings" were probably manufactured/sold by one of these Dallas retail stores.

Wow!- good detective work. That seems to be some very convincing information.

Some more searching shows that John M Spellman was a patent lawyer in Dallas Texas in 1918 as well.

I suspect the next task for researching these wings would be to check in vintage catalogs for E M Kahn, The Sanger Bros, and A Harris Co to see if they advertised WWI Officer uniforms/insignia/accoutraments. I think that is likely to lead to proof that the "Esienstadt 3 feather Dallas wings" were probably manufactured/sold by one of these Dallas retail stores.

I have always thought of Dallas wings as a broad description of a general style--3 individual pieces (the two wings and a shield/US) attached on a fabric covered base to form one unit.

It seems to me (although it it is just my opinion) that this was a metal adaptation of the bullion wings, with three individual bullion components sewn to a fabric base. The next (at least to me) logical step would be to make one single wing/shield construct and put that on black or blue fabric base (either as part of the wing or as a separate backing. Finally, it may have just been easier all around to lose the backing and pin the wing directly on the uniform.

There were actually many different variations and styles and manufacturers of these Dallas Style wings.

1) We know that BB&B made a Dallas Style wing

2) Dunham seemed to have at least 4 or 5 variations in size and style.

3) Eisenstadt had (at least) the Eagle version (that is highlighted and talked about in another thread) and a wide range of hand engraved wings.

4) Then there is the 3-feather style (which seems to conform to the patent application above) and may have been made in Dallas for sale in various high end retail stores in that area. If true, then maybe these should be called Semans/Heiligman wings... Or Kahn Wings, or Sanger Brothers or Harris Co wings?

5) Then there is a "broad-shield" 3 feather Dallas wing that is very similar to wing pattern 4 (although it may be from a totally different company)

6) There are 5-6 other unknown Dallas wing with unique feathering or styles that I have seen. I put together a "small" montage of a subset of Dallas wings.

In one very high end collection I counted over 9 unique Dallas wing types (3 pieces on a fabric covered backing).

Recently a very rare Dallas wing showed up that I have only seen 2 of, and both are variations of each other. Here is a picture of one of them.

Obviously these wings were very popular with early pilots, which explains all the variations and manufacturers.

P

post-1519-0-78437800-1582233221_thumb.jpg

post-1519-0-29979700-1582233275.jpg

One theory that I have is actually backed up by some official patent information. In October, 22, 1918, Clare L Semans & Edward Heiligman of Dallas Texas submitted and were awarded a patent (1,282,471) for military pilot insignia.

As you can see in the original patent drawings and descriptions, they demonstrate the "classic" three feather "Eisenstadt-style" Dallas wings.

However, in August of 1919, the Official Gazette of the US Patent Office determined that Semans and Heilgman were NOT the first ones to invent the style of military pilot wings described in the patent. Although by that time the question was moot anyway as the Adam's style wings were being adopted.

I was able to download the original patent drawings and descriptions for patent number 1282471. A google search using patent 128471 will lead you to the primary sources in the Official Gazette.

This is fantastic information!

But any discussion of US1,282,471 must needs discuss the prior art that eventually invalidated it.

There was indeed prior art with respect to Semans and Heligman's patent US1,282,471. If you pull up the Official US Patent Gazette you find that patent US1,340,465, by Thomas Seastrunk (also of Dallas) was submitted 9 May 1918, a mere 50 days before Semans and Heligman filed for their patent (29 June 1918). Strangely, Seastrunk's application took longer to process and award (were there shenanigans?)

Seastrunk was awarded US1,340,465 on 18 May 1920 while Semans and Heligman were awarded theirs 22 Oct 1918.

Thomas Seastrunk was a Dallas manufacturing jeweler who had a retail store only two blocks away from Kahn's Department Store.

I find it quite odd that two Dallas entities filed nearly identical, competing patent applications within weeks of each other! Clearly something happened in Dallas during the Summer of 1918.

Seastrunk's prior art US1,340,465 also demonstrates the "classic" three feather wing style:

post-594-0-33641600-1582241589.jpeg

post-594-0-99311800-1582241603.jpeg

post-594-0-14529300-1582241612.jpeg

Chris,

I must apologize as I had thought I had found new data, but you had already discussed this in another thread (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/123679-they-why-and-how-of-dallas-wings/?hl=seastrunk&do=findComment&comment=1921975), of which I totally reproduced.

Here is Thomas P (Roy) Seastrunk grave.

What is even more interesting, I found a Dallas Texas directory with both the Linz Bros and Roy Seastrunk on the same page!

Because I suspect that Seamans and Heiligel were not jewelers, but rather salesmen for Dallas area retail stores, they may have been involved in working with various wholesalers, like Seastrunk.

I couldn't find a patent for Eisentadt's EAGLE pattern wing, nor any other patents for wings (but I may have missed it) on line. However, I think it remains unclear as to which came first, the BB&B, Eisnestadt, Dunham, SHS (Seaman/Heiliman/Seastrunk), Linz, "Dallas" wings.

Interestingly, there is a strong connection to Texas (and especially Dallas) in that SHS, Linz, and Dunham are all located in Texas.

BB&B in Philly, and M Eisenstadt in St Louis MO.

post-1519-0-83681100-1582245262_thumb.jpg

Patrick,

I really love your post above with all the variations of the so-called "Dallas wing." Everyone here should really take a good look at it. I think that post really encapsulates the complexity of the "Dallas wings" question.

I agree with you that the dates of the two patents do not align well with what should be the timeline of the wings. The Semans and Heligman patent shows a 1st type observer half wing. That particular badge was long obsolete by the time any of the parties had applied for their patents. I suspect that the so-called "Dallas wings" likely date to somewhat earlier--possibly as early as late 1917.

So that begs the question, it cannot be mere coincidence that there were two entities in Dallas competing to file two practically identical patents...

Its purely speculation I know but there must have been something approaching a competitive spat between the two entities with one declaring; "You can't sell that! That's my idea!" and the other exclaiming; "Well, why not?!? You don't have a patent on it!"

Chris

It has been fun when all the research starts to come together. I agree that the Dallas style wings seem to show up in late 1917 stateside (although I have yet to see photographic proof of Dallas wings being worn overseas).

My guess is that both those patents are for the same wing. As salesmen for a big retail firm in Dallas, I think that maybe Seamans and Heiligman were probably involved in buying wholesale from small manufacturers (like Seastrunk) and selling retail via the various Department stores (like EM Kahn, Sangers Brothers, and the Harris Company). No doubt that these retail stores had a Men's Department where they would sell military uniforms and accoutrements (like wings and insignia). I have been combing the internet for adverts from these companies but haven't found anything yet. They may have also had mail order catalogs, and probably sent salesmen/representatives out to Love field and surrounding uniform shops to peddle their wares. One has to wonder if there isn't a salesman sample board with examples of these wings out there! Like the Link sample board that Cliff found some years ago. That would be nice!

Why the conflicting patents, especially that late in the game. One can think up a number of various scenarios? Perhaps like Chris suggests, "knock" offs started showing up and began to cut into the profits. Perhaps that was some attempt to corner the market? The fact that Dunham and Linz were also making badges in Texas may contribute to that idea.

That may also explain the M Eisenstadt EAGLE badge (which is VERY similar to the 3-wing Dallas badge). I couldn't find evidence that M Eisenstadt actually tried to trademark the Eagle name, but it is easy to see that they may have intended to do so. Thus, perhaps the hand carved Eisenstadt badges were made first (and some hallmarked with the LE mark), and only later did they start to come up with a "Dallas-style" wing that they were willing to give a line name to--(EAGLE Pilot badges). They did trademark a fair number of different product lines in the teens and 20s.

I think I am going to stop calling the previously-thought 3 feather Dallas wings as "Eisenstadt-wings" and start calling them the SHS-Dallas wings!

One other thing, Chris is doing is a great service to collecting in general and specifically for this forum. Like the work that Bob Schwartz has done on his web site, the information on early US pilot badges contained here is fantastic. Not to diminish the contributions of Duncan Campbell and other earlier researchers, it is nice to see some of the primary information coming out. The benefits to both newbies and old hoary collectors is first rate. And I don't say that just because I owe Chris and Bob money! LOL

• 1 year later...

I thought this image would be a relevant update to this thread:

2087547989_Morris0-3.jpeg.d4c876a87c6c8ff3ad45c592308b8479.jpeg

A top to bottom comparison of the RMA and 1st-type Observer versions of this particular maker's badge.  If a 2nd-type Observer exists by this manufacturer, I have not yet encountered one.  In his book, Campbell called this particular badge the "Dallas wing."  To be sure, the "Dallas wing" question has only gotten murkier over the years as newer examples and other manufacturers have subsequently come to light.  Still, this example with its three prominent feathered shoulder, was likely marketed at Kahn's Department Store in Dallas (the Heiligman and Seamans connection) or sold at Roy Seastrunk's Jewelry store a few blocks away.  Maybe even both!  Perhaps someday, further research will reveal for sure.

Chris

• 7 months later...

As this thread seems to be something of a repository for "Dallas wing" information, here are the currently known Bailey Banks and Biddle manufactured variations:

1161321164_BBBtypes.jpg.6003de1f87bd8798b7a50d027785948d.jpg

• 9 months later...

This is kind of a standard set up.  The individual parts (the two wings and shields) are stamped sterling silver (usually rather thin) with a U shaped metal staple soldered to the inside. The backing plate would have had the pin hinge and catch attached and then they probably put the fabric covering on the plate (but didn't sew it up until the pieces were attached.  Next the two prongs on each of the pieces were  pushed through the fabric and up through holes drilled into the backing plate and then cinched down.  Finally, the fabric would have been sewn tightly on the back of the backing plate, just leaving the pin and catch outside.

There was always some variations to be found, but this was a pretty standard set up for most of the "Dallas" style wings.