USMC Brevet medal grouping find.

pharbor1941

This grouping was recently found by a friend of mine. The group belonged to General J.T. Meyers. Most of the medals are rim marked with the number and also his name and rank at the time they were awarded. His Chinese Visa is also with the group but not shown. Phillipine campaign medal rim marked JT Meyers 1st LT #375, Marine Corps Expeditionary medal #12, Mexican Service Medal #1345, China Relief Expeditionary medal marked JT Meyers Capt #114, West Indies Caimpaign medal marked JT Meyers 2nd Lt. #245, Military Order of The Carabao marked #1384.

post-286179-0-60586600-1581909898_thumb.jpg

post-286179-0-05927800-1581910241.jpg

post-286179-0-53072500-1581910256.jpg

Wow!!! what a great introductory post to the forum!! I can't think of a more historic China Marine group then one belonging to this Marine officer. Can you please show some shots of the visa? Am curious as Myers and his men were not diplomatically cleared to enter China, they snuck in along with the Capt and his sailors off the USS Newark on steel barges. So wondering if this visa came from the US Minister. Or something he was given prior to the uprising or afterward as he was leaving. Here is a eBay shot of Myers wearing his decorations after pinning on Major.

IMG_3371.PNG

Brian Dentino

Well now that is one heck of a 1st post on the Forum! Amazing. A truly historic and RARE group for sure. Can't be too many original issued Brevet medals still roaming around in the wild these days. Simply fantastic grouping!!!!!!!

Are you saying that many of the medals have the name and rank in addition to the numbers engraved on the rims? I don't recall seeing that before. Please show the rims if possible. Is the Philippine medal numbered 375 or 315?

I am not sure I have heard of ANY USMC brevet medals outside of the Marine Corps museum. I think there were only a very small number actually issued if I recall. Dirk is right about the historic nature of this grouping.....handsome Jack Meyers. There is a great photo of him wearing his patrol jacket and mameluke on the deck of the Newark I believe. He was a dapper officer for sure. What an astonishing grouping.

It looks like he is wearing a Dragon too in the photo. That would have been numbered and named.

AMAZING group. I bet your INBOX is filling fast.

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

Really interesting group and truly historic in nature. Although I dont collect USMC from this period, I feel like I have seen his photo multiple times over the years ? Maybe its the mustache.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Are you saying that many of the medals have the name and rank in addition to the numbers engraved on the rims? I don't recall seeing that before. Please show the rims if possible.

Eric-

A common practice with early US Naval Service medals to be privately rim engraved with name, etc.

Two corrections to this post. There is not a China Visa as I originally thought. When I saw these recently, my friend had some other China related items out and I thought the Visa was for this group. My error. The Philippine medal is number 315 NOT 375. Three of the medals have J.T. Meyers engraved on the rim in addition to the medal number. I have some additional photos attached but quality is not the best as I had to use cell phone to take the pictures.

post-286179-0-19472500-1581996966_thumb.jpg

post-286179-0-93350800-1581996986_thumb.jpg

post-286179-0-11838000-1581997011.jpg

A find a of the century indeed! I remember starting a thread about the Brevet medal in specific a while back and everyone including myself was in belief that there are none in collectors hands, this is the first time seeing one in a private collection. Simply AMAZING!

Best regards, Martin

• 1 year later...
pharbor1941

My buddy who is the owner of this group has expressed a possible interest in selling the group as he is now in his early eighties and thinking its time to sell a few things. Anyone have some thoughts on the value of this group?

The set is of such historical importance that I would suggest working with the Marine Corps Museum to see about them purchasing it. I would be happy to put you in touch with one of the curators if your friend is interested. 

pharbor1941

The owner of the groups daughter did contact them, they wanted him to donate the group, they weren't interested in buying.

Am sorry to hear  that…will be at an event with one of the curators today ….I will ask them to reconsider….the price imho on the open market would be considerable and I am unsure if the Brevet medal falls under the same possession status as the MOH….if they are determined to sell I would recommend considering an nationally recognized auction house to get exposure for the group.