1928 pack set up revealed!

Costa

always wanted to do this and today finally its done. every thing is 42 dated except fork, knife and spoon. set up includes------------ pack, 1905 pattern bayonet, blanket (a real bitch to fold to fit. all folds was in 1/3's), shovel and cover, meat can pouch, mess kit. looks cool and you have to realize what those vets had to lug about, all that gear with weapons and ammo. I may put on the rest of the web and what goes with it.

post-73-0-13872200-1581889641_thumb.jpg

Your bayonet needs the ring to the rear on the pack (front on the belt). The shovel cover is a later pattern one for belt use and as shown willhit you in the back of the head if you go prone.

Marchville1918

Your pack and gear look great and putting the blanket in the pack is probably the way it was set up many times............but.......officially the blanket along with the shelter half and half of the tent pegs and one tent pole were all rolled together and strapped into what was called the pack carrier. The pack carrier was then strapped to the bottom the pack you have (haversack) using those slits cut into the bottom edge. It makes a rather long round pack which bends naturally where the cartridge belt is worn. The end of the blanket roll went up into the haversack about half way. The long flap with all the loops was rapped around rations and small items in the upper part of the pack. hard to describe and you may know this already. it took me a long time to figure out so now I want to tell everyone else how to do it.

Rhscott-- yes. I will have to look in my trunks for the right cover. I kind of thought it was sitting to high (an easy cure if I have one.

Marchville 1918--- I set this up as to field or sort of days out patrol use. the way you state I know about like the soldier was all packed up ready to be shipped off or transferred somewhere.