Another WW2 USN Machinist Mate 2nd class jumper with Amphibous Forces patch

P-59A

Here you go:

George Junior Trevenna, born Jan 19, 1926, and died Sept 25, 2019 at age 93.

Born in Silver Now County, Montana and also died there.

He enlisted or was drafted in Jan 1944. Served his entire military career aboard LST 819. The ship was commissioned in Nov 1944 and sailed for the Pacific from New Orleans, LA. Participated in the Okinawa campaign where the ship came under fire from Japanese air attacks. Also served in the occupation of Japan before the ship returned home.

George worked as an electrician with Montana Power & Light after World War 2

USS Hampshire County (LST-819) was an LST-542-class tank landing ship built for the United States Navy during World War II. Named for counties in Massachusetts and West Virginia, she was the only U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name.

Originally laid down as LST-819 by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Company of Evansville, Indiana on 12 September 1944; launched on 21 October; sponsored by Mrs. William M. Gilmore; and commissioned on 14 November 1944 with Lieutenant George W. Ryerson in command.

Following shakedown off

Florida, LST-819 loaded cargo, then departed New Orleans on 18 December for the Pacific. After brief stops at San Diego and Pearl Harbor, the tank landing ship arrived Tulagi on 23 February 1945. During the next month she shuttled cargo throughout the Pacific, then ammunition for the Okinawa invasion. Arriving on 2 April, one day after the initial landing, LST-819 prepared to unload her cargo under heavy enemy air attack. Remaining off the island for the next three weeks, she assisted in the effort as the Japanese made an attempt to stop the American thrust toward Japan. For the rest of the war she continued transport and cargo operations in the vicinity of Okinawa. After V-J Day, she operated with the occupation forces in Okinawa and Japan, then sailed for the United States in mid-November, arriving San Francisco on 6 January 1946. Later that month she sailed to Astoria, Oregon, was decommissioned there and joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

post-169522-0-07961800-1581813084.jpg

post-169522-0-07961800-1581813084.jpg

LST 819 Muster Rolls show his rating at the time of transfer from the ship (15 May 1946) as WT2c - Water Tender 2nd Class.

The three bladed prop design was used by Machinist's Mates, Water Tenders and Boilermakers of the Artificer Branch (Engine Room Force) during that era.

post-8013-0-93641900-1581813452_thumb.jpg

post-8013-0-93641900-1581813452_thumb.jpg

I have been searching online for this answer and can not find a clear cut answer. I do not have the ribbon bar for his uniform so I figure due to his late entry it would be the American Campaign, Occupation of Japan?, Good Conduct?, Asiatic Pacific with one star or does he rate the arrowhead? I can't find Navy reg's on this.

Everything I've read on the arrowhead device indicates it was awarded to Army and Air Corps/Air Force personnel, but no mention of award to Navy personnel.

So even though he and his ship were on the beach under fire just a day into the invasion it doesn't appear he qualified for the device.

Everything I've read on the arrowhead device indicates it was awarded to Army and Air Corps/Air Force personnel, but no mention of award to Navy personnel.

So even though he and his ship were on the beach under fire just a day into the invasion it doesn't appear he qualified for the device.

Okie Dokie Geoff, thanks for the info!