Intro: USN mess collector - Texas

Mac Cat

I'm and Army Brat and I come from a long line of service members. My German ancestors used to make military equipment and helmets in the 1600s.

I am a former USNR aviator, who got into collecting WW-II era Navy mess items.

I particularly enjoy collecting the US made stainless steel flatware, particularly those stamped "USN" or "USMC" and made during the WW-II era (not after 1960s). I also have a few small china plates and shallow soup bowls with a navy blue fouled anchor logo.

History:

Like many American's, I found myself using a old USN stamped spoon for cooking, passed down from my in-laws. I also found myself eating with a USN stamped fork, which is my favorite. I used to find them in Army/Navy Surplus stores, but most of them are now out of business or selling modern camping supplies.

These military issued flatware pieces are particularly easy to recognize by the stamps (US, USN, USMC and even USVA). They are heavy, easy to hold and perfectly balanced examples of the most durable American made utensils.

I am now looking for more history and background, which is what got me to this forum. I want to find out more about the military specs and manufactures.

This is my USN collection.

The Knives are mostly the short blade variety.

They are various manufactures (Diamond, MODERNAIRE, ONIEDA, and SILCO)

I am curious about the stamp (small picture below) with 3-flowers and the letter "A".

post-285491-0-00284500-1581800632.jpg

post-285491-0-59896900-1581800714_thumb.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Welcome Aboard,

You've got the silverware, and somewhere around here I've got the USN Shenango wardroom china and the stainless steel mess trays

USN Shenango China 001.jpg

These collections are a real mess! Sorry, I just could not resist that.

I use an old mess kit fork every day. It's post war marked Utica. Which is cool since I was born and raised there.

Your Navy utensils look a bit more elegant. I'll need to look for some.

Mikie

Very cool, welcome aboard from an old squid. (was in Weapons Dept on CVN-73 as an Airman, was an HT striker, made HT3 and worked in Engineering. '92-96)

I bet these would fall within your wheelhouse as well! (not mine, just have been admiring them!!)

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Era-US-Navy-Granite-Wear-Porcelain-Mess-Hall-Table-Pitcher-Set-USN-Marked/361538691616

I'd like to just find a fork, spoon and knife myself. :)

• 11 months later...
On 2/15/2020 at 8:14 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Welcome Aboard,

You've got the silverware, and somewhere around here I've got the USN Shenango wardroom china and the stainless steel mess trays

On 2/16/2020 at 8:35 AM, KRIS FORD said:

Very cool, welcome aboard from an old squid. (was in Weapons Dept on CVN-73 as an Airman, was an HT striker, made HT3 and worked in Engineering. '92-96)

I bet these would fall within your wheelhouse as well! (not mine, just have been admiring them!!)

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Era-US-Navy-Granite-Wear-Porcelain-Mess-Hall-Table-Pitcher-Set-USN-Marked/361538691616

I'd like to just find a fork, spoon and knife myself. :)