WWII 11th Airborne Uniform with Japanese Made Patch

FT.Monmouth1943

FT.Monmouth1943

Recently picked up this 11th AB Ike jacket with the undershirt, cap and tie. Everything except for the undershirt has the soldiers laundry number (no name sadly) and a bit of moth damage, though it isnt too bad on the Ike jacket. I believe the combat patch is for the 472nd Glider Field Artillery Battalion. Its Japanese made and the first one Ive come across. The jump wings are marked sterling. Not sure if they are Japanese made or not. If anyone wants better pictures of the back of them let me know and I can take it off the uniform. It also appears that the uniform was reissued because there are some remnants of other patches, most notably the honorable discharge diamond.

If youd like to see more photos feel free to ask.

- Jakob

post-134998-0-66645500-1581786772_thumb.jpeg

FT.Monmouth1943

Thanks! The 472nd patch is really something else. I hope I get a good hit with the laundry number. It’s a shame he didn’t stamp his name on everything.

There are 78 individuals with that laundry number that pop up, unfortunatly none show up as being 472nd on this roster, that makes it a little more difficult as you would have to check each of the 78 names to see if they show up on the roster of the 11th airborne.

http://users.owt.com/leodonna/Taps-11th-Abn.htm

That is a really awesome uniform by the way, I love the patch. Also is the shirt an officers quality shirt?

FT.Monmouth1943

There are 78 individuals with that laundry number that pop up, unfortunatly none show up as being 472nd on this roster, that makes it a little more difficult as you would have to check each of the 78 names to see if they show up on the roster of the 11th airborne.

That is a really awesome uniform by the way, I love the patch. Also is the shirt an officers quality shirt?

Thanks for the link! Sadly none of the names matched up. When I have the time I'll sift through the names that come up with the laundry number. And yes, it is an officers quality shirt.

FT.Monmouth1943

Thanks for the link! Sadly none of the names matched up. When I have the time I'll sift through the names that come up with the laundry number. And yes, it is an officers quality shirt.

No problem, I hope it eventually helps because it would be great to be able to put a neme to it. Another tip is to remember where the seller was located because, unless it came from Florida where I have found that some towns have up to 7 11th airborne vets who have retired to there, the location can be a valuable tool for identification as well.

And that is interesting, I have a few other officer shirts that were worn by enlisted men of the 11th from that period. I almost wonder if it was a thing that the members of the unit did to look more professional and stand out after their jump boots got taken away.