Major Harry L. Wingate, Pilot, Instructor - WW1

IMPERIAL QUEST

IMPERIAL QUEST

Ok guys, here is the star of the show. Are you ready? Ok, here we go.

I must say that although I have only been studying WWI wings for a short time, I have looked at probably over a hundred in hand and in publication. I can say that this is the first one seen that incorporates tiny sequin-like round silver metal disks to form the lower portion of the feathers. It is quite striking in person. It measures a whopping 3 1/2 in. wide X 1 1/8 in. in height.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Really neat way of forming the stars. You can see where the silver sheathing has fallen away from the "arms" or threads that form the stars, exposing the thread underneath.

EDIT: This was originally post #3 in this thread, and was placed there as a sneak preview. I moved it down to the present location as it presents a better continuity with the rest of the format.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Here is the Major in his last years of life. I can't help but feeling a great sense of pride and admiration for this man, and his historic contributions during the Great War and the early days of aviation.

God Bless you Sir...soldier, statesman, hero.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Before someone asks....I know, I mentioned a bit of a surprise. Well, ladies and gentlemen...you will have to wait a bit. :)

I would be most appreciative to hear your comments on this grouping and the items it contains (especially the wing)! It has been my pleasure to share this with you all, and I truly hope you have enjoyed seeing a grouping that is on the radar of the collecting community for the first time. Thank you all for looking...

well.................no matter where you go or what you do...............................there you are!------------------da daaaaa!

Nice tribute

DJ

As you know, i don't collect uniforms, or patches, guns or such. My kink is Disney related war stuff. BUT, after seeing this grouping, your other uniform and some of the other WW I artifacts posted on this forum, I can honestly say that if I had the money, I would become a collector of these items. Wonderful items with such history!

This is just a great collection...just great!

IMPERIAL QUEST

Thank you again to all who posted here. I am indeed hopelessly and terminally infected with the aviation-related addiction. This stuff gets hold of you and won't let go...especially when there is such a personal connection with the hero that once owned the artifacts.

Those wings are most amazing, and I can see at least 4 different types of bullion wire used. They are a one looker, to tell you they are as real as they come. The use of the metallic disc's or sequins is not uncommon, I have seen them used in WW1 naval wings before and at least one observer badge. Again you can see the craftsmanship and detail to this wing that you do not see in questionable wings. Those scream I'm real..

Nice score.. PM me as I have some other info on Wingate for you..

Paul

IMPERIAL QUEST
Those wings are most amazing, and I can see at least 4 different types of bullion wire used. They are a one looker, to tell you they are as real as they come. The use of the metallic disc's or sequins is not uncommon, I have seen them used in WW1 naval wings before and at least one observer badge. Again you can see the craftsmanship and detail to this wing that you do not see in questionable wings. Those scream I'm real..

Nice score.. PM me as I have some other info on Wingate for you..

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much, I appreciate your input. These wings are quite incredible to see in person. I feel VERY fortunate to be the caretaker of such a fabulous grouping.

Very cool grouping. I have to agree with Disney Dave, I may have to get myself

one nice WWI aviation grouping to go along with all the AAF stuff! They are pretty

cool!

J.D.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Very cool grouping. I have to agree with Disney Dave, I may have to get myself

one nice WWI aviation grouping to go along with all the AAF stuff! They are pretty

cool!

J.D.

@ Dave & JD-

I am "living the dream" as they say. I have always loved this stuff, but only recently became financially able to acquire some of these wonderful groupings. It is incredible to hold something that is nearly 100 years old and see the face that is directly associated with it.

@ Dave & JD-

I am "living the dream" as they say. I have always loved this stuff, but only recently became financially able to acquire some of these wonderful groupings. It is incredible to hold something that is nearly 100 years old and see the face that is directly associated with it.

Steve, this grouping is even more spectacular than what you first revealed! I am in a stupor and in awe! drool2.gif

Hi Steve,

All i can say from my collectors life experience is that groupings like yours are almost impossible to find, but deep in our collectors hearts everyone of us is dreaming about something like this...You must be extremely lucky and i'm honestly happy that this grouping landed safely in your collection! Congratulations my friend!

IMPERIAL QUEST

Scott & Robert,

Thank you both so very much. I am humbled to be able to show this, but more importantly, I am in awe myself over the uniform and over the kindness of the individual that I obtained this from.

BTW...is anyone curious as to the "surprise" that I mentioned....or should I make you wait (it is killing me, somebody ask to see it!) :lol:

Scott & Robert,

Thank you both so very much. I am humbled to be able to show this, but more importantly, I am in awe myself over the uniform and over the kindness of the individual that I obtained this from.

BTW...is anyone curious as to the "surprise" that I mentioned....or should I make you wait (it is killing me, somebody ask to see it!) :lol:

I wanna see it! crybaby.gif

teufelhunde.ret

I'm asking nerv0003.gif

You sure this isn't a "photo shop" put together image?? - ...............................Yea, I guess they are real.

Good for you, DJ -

IMPERIAL QUEST
You sure this isn't a "photo shop" put together image?? - ...............................Yea, I guess they are real.

Good for you, DJ -

That's right....stir the poop pile Dennis... :rolleyes::lol:

Steve - Congrats on your new acquistion. It's a beauty! In honor, I scanned the following for you from my copy of the WWI book, "A History of the Second Army Air Service", printed at Nancy; published at Toul, April 1919. As a former 'victim' of "The Romance of Air-Fighting" (title of a pamphlet published in early 1917), I can understand your passion.

The_AVIATOR.JPG