Vernon K. Rising, USN

askari

My neighbor, Vernon K. Rising, passed away on Feb. 3, aged 98. He was my neighbor for about the last 15 years but it was only in the last five years I got to know him, and am glad I did.

He was a "90 day wonder" at Columbia University's Navy Midshipman Training Program in 1944, graduating as an ensign. All the ensigns in his class were assigned to LSTs, with responsibilities handed out alphabetically by threes: You're a commander, you're an XO, you're an engineering officer, etc. He was first posted as an engineering officer to LST 308 and then LST 345, carrying troops and supplies across the English Channel to France, and wounded back to England on the return trip. After VE Day, he was briefly assigned to the Amphibious School at Little Creek, VA, then left for the Pacific around the time of VJ Day. Once there, he commanded LST 1043 in New Guinea. He left the Navy, worked in the Merchant Marine, then went on to civilian life.

Vern was hard to get to know at first, because by the time I met him (he was then in his early 90s) he was quite deaf and stubbornly refused to get a proper hearing aid. He lived on his own, drove every day until he was 97, and in the summer he could always be found at the pool, swimming 25 yards underwater on a single breath. He was a rare breed, a tough but sweet guy, an inspiration to me, and one of the last of his generation.

RIP, Vernon.

post-111034-0-88088200-1581723625.jpg

They are a tough breed, from a different generation. There is something about this generation they were tough as nails. God Rest His soul .RIP sailor and fair winds. Its alway tough to see another of the "Greatest Generation" pass. your in Gods hands. :rolleyes:

They are a tough breed, from a different generation. There is something about this generation they were tough as nails. God Rest His soul .RIP sailor and fair winds. Its alway tough to see another of the "Greatest Generation" pass. your in Gods hands. :rolleyes:

True grit, the real deal. The "greatest" is not hyperbole and the world will never see another generation like it. It's defined as those born between 1901 and 1927. Those of us who had the opportunity to know those men and women, who were grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, etc, are the richer for it. To paraphrase the old song, "we will never pass this way again." Romans 8:11.

• 1 month later...

I attended Vern's memorial service last month, and now finally have a moment to post some pictures.

post-111034-0-77374100-1586476281.jpgpost-111034-0-58801800-1586476291.jpgpost-111034-0-36016100-1586476303.jpg