Navy Helicopter Helmet

hink441

Just acquired this HGU-84 SAR Helo helmet. I am not sure of the squadron markings. Any ideas on which squadron?

Nicely used personalized tape job.

post-10825-0-01633300-1581711524_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-58636300-1581711538_thumb.jpeg

I'm wondering it it may be HSC-26 Chargers based at Norfolk, Va, Their patch uses the yellow lightening bolt on blue background and their history has a SAR background according to the official web page.

I think it could be HSC-26 or possibly HS-14. Both used the lightning bolt. There is a sticker on the front that looks like Japanese writing. HS-14 was forward based in Japan during the late 90s and early 2000s.

If you post a picture of the writing, i know some people that can translate it. Might be some help ID'ing the squadron.

Here is a picture of the sticker on the front of the helmet. I have no idea what language this is. Thank you for the assistance.

Chris

post-10825-0-87872200-1581947678_thumb.jpeg

My guess is a PATRIOTS fan who belonged HSC-26 the Chargers

I think you might be right. I was able to find two pics of HSC-26 aircrew wearing lightning bolts on their helmets. These pictures are from 2005 and 2006. I also purchased this helmet in Norfolk, so the squadron is local. Here are the two pics.

Initially I could not find any pics of HSC-26 wearing any insignia on their helmets. I think these pics of HSC-26 helmets match more closely than the HS-14 helmets pictured earlier in this thread.

post-10825-0-43928800-1581957639_thumb.jpeg

post-10825-0-52362200-1581957651_thumb.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

I'm sticking with the NFL theme........

San Diego Chargers insignia, 1970's for the White helmet

Salvage Sailor

That's what I suspected,

HSC-26 Chargers

The NFL San Diego Chargers lightning bolts look better than the squadrons, so he used them to personalize his brain bucket.

San Diego Chargers 001.jpg

HC-6-squadron-photo-031.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL San Diego Chargers lightning bolts look better than the squadrons, so he used them to personalize his brain bucket.

Could be possible.

I personally think the squadron as a whole had adopted the lightning bolts on the helmets during this time period. There are different pictures showing different aircrew wearing the same bolts. It also appears the squadron currently has no lightning bolts on their helmets.

I think this guy was a Patriots fan and he personalized his bucket with the Patriots logo.

Chris