WWII 1944 Air Medal for Cavalry Officer?

johnny12550

You're welcome. I sure wish information about why Edward received the Air Medal could be found.

Also,

Publication: Daily News

Issue Date: Wednesday, January 23, 1952

Page: 140

Robert P. Patterson, one of those killed in yesterday's airliner crash in Elizabeth, was Secretary of War in President Truman's Cabinet from September, 1945, to July, 1947, when he resigned to resume private law practice.

Note: That card from the War Department stating, “It’s a pleasure for me to forward this decoration.”, auto-signed by Robert P. Patterson may’ve been for an award other than the Air Medal for Edward A. Maher as the Air Medal was awarded the 26th day of December, 1948. Robert P. Patterson only served as Secretary of War up until July 1947.

Source: https://ww2db.com/aircraft_spec.php?aircraft_model_id=140

The military variant, with enlarged Plexiglas windows, was designated L-4 Grasshopper by the US Army and O-59/NE-1 Grasshopper by the United States Navy and Marine Corps. Grasshopper aircraft were used extensively for reconnaissance, transport of supplies, and evacuation of wounded. In the reconnaissance role, US Army cavalry officers such as Captain A. T. Netterblad used Grasshopper aircraft to detect enemy movements and to drop messages to his troops; there were talks to supply Grasshopper aircraft to all reconnaissance units of each division, but it never came to fruition. Some army Grasshopper aircraft were equipped with infantry rocket launchers to support ground troops, and they fulfilled their ground support missions effectively.

This pin was also with his stuff. According to his passport application on Ancestry he was in France in 1924. Harrys New York. Bar was also a hangout for American Field Service Ambulance drivers during WWI. the Brotherhood of the International Bar Flies. The IBF, as they called it, was a secret and fraternal organization devoted to the uplift and downfall of serious drinkers.

Members of the IBF could identify each other by their official IBF lapel pins, which featured a dead fly on a sugar cube. Each member also received a bright red notebook, with the club logo on the front. While Odds fellow members included Gertrude Stein, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Thornton Wilder, and Ernest Hemingway, non-writers were certainly not excluded from the club. Boxer Jack Dempsey, coach Knute Rockne, and fashion designer Coco Chanel were among those who could be spotted wearing the IBF pin and ordering cocktails at bars around the world.

post-129350-0-21789600-1581877463_thumb.jpeg

post-129350-0-34991200-1581877473_thumb.jpeg

He must have been most definitely been on a grass hopper recon flight during the Bulge. Good catch on the Patterson card. I didn't even notice it. There could be another medal that he earned and the dealer has not found it yet I remember seeing the award document for the NY Conspicuous Serve Cross, but like I mentioned before he didn't have the medal. This guy's shop is such a mess that two people cant walk down the same aisle because everything thing is stacked upon something else.

Great group! I don't believe there were many WWII officers holding the branch assignment of CAV as we phased out our horses early on. He was a holdover and never had his BOS changed. I agree that he probably earned his most unusual AM in a light observation aircraft during the bulge fighting, probably assigned to a TD unit. Super! BTW - I started my military service in the 101st Armored Cacalry in NYC in 1954 and wore the same DUI we called the "Dickey Bird".

Bobgee,

That's cool that you also started with the 101st Cav. I started out with a NYNG unit as well. I was with the 105th Infantry, 27th Infantry Brigade.

So, I went back today and found some additional items for this Officer. Got his pre war EM cap badge and Sergeant stripes that go with the 101 Cavalry collar Brass and DUI. I got his Officer cap badge along with officer collar badges. Definitely found the bottom portion of his ribbon bar, showing the N.Y. CSC ribbon. Unfortunately I could not find the top portion, which would show any additional decorations besides the Air Medal. And an additional two screw back DUI. I dont know to what unit they belong to. Working on one more item with him that I hope to have soon.

post-129350-0-27798100-1582319466_thumb.jpeg

post-129350-0-64868400-1582319482_thumb.jpeg

I found out through a another USMF inquiry that the DUI was for the 51st Machine Gun Squadron, which was part of the second squadron, 101st Cavalry. So, looks like all these little pieces are all related to the Captain

• 4 weeks later...
johnny12550

Hi,

Thanks, I did see it on Ebay about over a month ago. I thought with the shipping and taxes it would be too much money for the medal. The seller has already re-listed it at least 4 times that I know of with no one buying it

Hi,

Thanks, I did see it on Ebay about over a month ago. I thought with the shipping and taxes it would be too much money for the medal. The seller has already re-listed it at least 4 times that I know of with no one buying it

If I owned the Air Medal, I would step up and buy it.

Kurt

johnny12550

Well Kurt..... I took your advice and bought the CSC. It did cost me $138.00. Probably the most ever paid for this type of medal. Anyway, the next step is to find out how this guy ended up with the medal. He is not the same guy (coin dealer) that I bought this grouping from

johnny12550

Well, I really did not want to spend so much on the medal, but there was a happy ending to this. I went by the coin dealer today and he found the document that goes with the CSC. Funny how things work out

post-129350-0-86773000-1585094304_thumb.jpeg

post-129350-0-74595300-1585094322_thumb.jpeg