WWII Airborne SSI - what to pay?

Midwestern85

So Im getting geared up for SOS. The majority of gaps in my division collection are airborne patches. Can anybody give me their thoughts on what a fair price is for the various airborne patches? I know that may hard to do with variations, but just looking for basic examples of the 11th and 82nd.

As for the 17th and 101st, again Im looking for basic examples, but can you please tell me (or show me) what the basic example is and what to expect to pay? While I can appreciate the ultra rare, Im a guy on a budget just looking to fill the gaps.

Thanks!

BILL THE PATCH

I'm sure you could probably picked up those patches relatively cheap. I wouldn't be surprised if you get an 11th for 5.00, 82nd 10.00 check the patch bins. I've never been to the sos myself, but I've read lots of stories on here about the great deals.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Bill- last year was my first. I also collect firearms and all I can say is WOW- best show Ive ever been to. Not a single table of beef jerky or the ever annoying sound of a taser in the distance. Truly a show for the enthusiast!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Expect to pay around 50 for a decent WW2 82nd patch, 17th patches can be had fairly cheap, around 20 with loose tabs sometimes, I guess it depends on whether you buy from dealers or on eBay, where better deals can be had if you know what to look for. 101st patches is where most of your money will be going, the cheapest ones sell for around 100. There is a back door though, as collectors are still on the fence about the type 10 'scribble eye' eagle patch. I just scored one of those on eBay for around 30, there's a good chance that if you can get a cut edge with an attached tab, it could be late ww2. And it won't set you back as much. To illustrate, this is the one I just bought. I'm confident others will consider it to be a post war patch, but to my eyes there's a good chance it was produced late in the war. If you search online you'll find the eagle patch corner Bando system, he also wrote a book on these patches, most of his theory and experience seems to be nailing type 1-9 down to WW2, but there's a lot of hesitation when it comes to these type 10 patches. If I were you I'd be looking for one of these. They are less uncommon than the type 1-9 patches and can be had for a reasonable price.

Ps. Just read you were planning on buying these at the SOS. How did it go? Are you still on the lookout? I can only hope the above has helped. If you haven't found a screaming eagle yet, definitely do look for this one, they are nice patches that could date back to WW2, unless of course you have more money to spend.

Best regards

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

EBay can be a goldmine sometimes, if you're Lucky enough to be the one and only bidder. I recently bought a 101st AB type 7 ( pics are posted here for ID help) for the starting price of 29 euros , according to current exchange rate it is a little bit more than 32 USD. To be honnest, I've been very surprised to get it at this bargain price.....my lucky day of the year I suppose..

Midwestern85

Actually, I think I did alright. If I remember correctly, I got a connected tab 82nd, a loose tab 101st, and a loose tab 17th for 100 bucks from a gentleman downsizing his collection. I did get lazy on a 18th A/B corps- the tab has letters that glow. Fortunately I had a period tab at home. Just need a 12th division now.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds promising! I've always heard that even wartime patches will glow at times, some German insignia do in any case, also patches that have been machine washed in modern times will tend to glow sometimes because of the chemicals involved.

Would be interested in seeing a picture of your 101st SSI, you can also identify it yourself here: https://www.101airborneww2.com/eaglepatchcorner.html

Cheers