506th Helmet on eBay

Burning Hazard

I dont know, but ive been told, Airborne Helmets with Schluter stamps are false gold.

I read that Schleuters were not used as airborne lids just McCords.

I might have read that on the forum here ? Saint Clair liner.

Those are not airborne chin straps on the shell either.

USMC-RECON0321

I see the seller is in France, so if this helmet was legit there would be a waiting list to purchase it. It would never make to eBay.

mccauslandpara1944

The painted top layer insignia doesn't look very old to me and the second layer insignia looks like it was purposely colored slightly different to give it some age. I would not buy this one. I also think if it was real, it would sell for a lot more than the seller is asking.

I read that Schleuters were not used as airborne lids just McCords.

Schleuter did not manufacturer M1C helmets.

However it is possible that someone in an airborne unit could have been issued a regular ole Schleuter M1 shell and a jump liner

Burning Hazard

My best guess that it's an elaborate fake, a really good one too. Someone has been doing their homework and knows that 101st AB helmets were campaign repainted and went for that look; these fakers are doing their homework.

Pat

post-8715-0-44791700-1581733940_thumb.jpg

My best guess that it's an elaborate fake, a really good one too. Someone has been doing their homework and knows that 101st AB helmets were campaign repainted and went for that look; these fakers are doing their homework.

Pat

and its a swivel bail.This brings up the age old question of how prevalent were swivel baisl in the ETO but more specific to the 101st?

We have a unit who went from Normandy to Holland to Belgium and beyond.Photos do depict as well as documentation the markings changed size and were covered etc.To my thinking it would be more in line with a helmet of older manufacture/issue to be repainted etc.D-bail or fixed bail.The argument can be made for replacement troops having newer helmets/swivel bales but its still a stretch to me.

Ron. You should check with Brandos. 101st helmets with provenance Swivel bales. Fairly common in the 101st after Holland. I could send you an invitation to his Facebook group. Bob Carter could also weigh in. Brando has called him the preeminent 101st collector in the country.

Ron. You should check with Brandos. 101st helmets with provenance Swivel bales. Fairly common in the 101st after Holland. I could send you an invitation to his Facebook group. Bob Carter could also weigh in. Brando has called him the preeminent 101st collector in the country.

You mean Mark Bando?

I'm pretty confident Bando is going to dislike this one. While it is possible that a handful of 506th PIR helmets survived the war, it is very unlikely that such a rare helmet, with a 2nd battalion tic mark no less, is going to pop up for sale on eBay, as others have stated.

Ken. My comment only in regard to whether swivel bales were used. I wouldnt touch this helmet. 101st helmets are sold privately and would never reach the market like this