A Real Museum Piece -- A Model of 1918 Mark I Blade

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Guys:

Nothing too fancy here. I happened to be at Fort Huachuca in Texas [EDIT: uh, Arizona, duh.] last week. It is the host facility for the Army's Intelligence Center and conducts a variety of Military Intelligence training activities.

While on the Post I had a few minutes to spare so I decided to check out the Military Intelligence Museum. I found it to be most interesting with a strong emphasis on Cold War intelligence gathering missions, techniques, MI soldiers and equipment.

In giving the history of the Army's MI branch it had a small display on WW1 activities. I was surprised to run across a display case with the Mark I knife shown below.

M1918 Mark I Knife Fort Huachuca Museum ed2.jpg

It appeared to be a beautiful, unsharpened example of the Mark I in fine condition. There was little info provided beyond a very brief identification of the knife. Nonetheless, as a blade guy I was pleased to see such an iconic model of US fighting knife given a prominent position in the Museum.

I took a quick pic of it in the display case as I thought you guys might enjoy seeing it. I wonder if Fort Huachuca has an old warehouse with a few crates of these blades laying around.......

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie Flick

Nice knife. I thought Fort Huachuca was in Arizona.

YES! Of course it is. I have a trip planned at the end of the month to the Big Bend National Park in Texas and evidently have Texas on my brain. (I should have picked up some more 'intelligence' when I was at Fort Huachuca.....)

Charlie