VT-11

hirsca

I have searched and searched on line without seeing this patch desribed anywhere. No glow. Cut edge. Blue twill base. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Al

post-12790-0-26630900-1581542712.jpg

post-12790-0-55129500-1581542733.jpg

post-12790-0-37449000-1581542757.jpg

post-12790-0-75494000-1581542866.jpg

post-12790-0-66925500-1581542898.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Really nice patch, I like the red blindfold - trust your airframe, your training and your instructors.

I'm thinking 1950's era -Training squadron, not the WWII Torpedo Squadron

probably 1950's era

Thanks Johnny Signor.

I even have my wife searching her various ID combinations and neither of us have been able to find a picture of this patch. We have researched the Saufley's Satans as suggested by Salvage Sailor (thank you), but did not come up with an image of the patch. Thanks to all for helping.

Al (and Kathy)

....that's because you may have one of the few ever made

As rare as hen's teeth! Congrats!

Thanks. Now, since this patch does not seem to have much exposure, is it even possible to determine a value? I'd like to send it to SOS with my brother.

Many thanks again, Al

• 3 weeks later...
TorpedoSquadron11

Really nice patch, I like the red blindfold - trust your airframe, your training and your instructors.

I'm thinking 1950's era -Training squadron, not the WWII Torpedo Squadron

Correct!

Not WW2. Torpedo Squadron Eleven (VT-11) was established in October 1942. They later became Attack Squadron 12A (VA-12A) in November 1946. B)

(See avatar)

Correct!

Not WW2. Torpedo Squadron Eleven (VT-11) was established in October 1942. They later became Attack Squadron 12A (VA-12A) in November 1946. B)

(See avatar)

Well, with the jet exhaust flaming out of the backside of the horse, I should have realized it was not WW2. My brother took it to SOS for me and was not able to find anyone having an ID for it. Still searching....

Thanks, Al

TorpedoSquadron11

From the Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons, Volume 1, Page 1, Roy A. Grossnick (1995)

The VT designation was used as an abbreviation for a Torpedo Squadron from the early 1920s and lasting until 15 November 1946 when the designation VT (Torpedo Squadron) was abolished. Then, on 1 May 1960, the use of the VT designation was reinstituted. However, this time the meaning and mission for VT was assigned as training and stood for Training Squadron (VT).

From the Dictionary of American Naval Aviation Squadrons, Volume 1, Page 1, Roy A. Grossnick (1995)

The VT designation was used as an abbreviation for a Torpedo Squadron from the early 1920s and lasting until 15 November 1946 when the designation VT (Torpedo Squadron) was abolished. Then, on 1 May 1960, the use of the VT designation was reinstituted. However, this time the meaning and mission for VT was assigned as training and stood for Training Squadron (VT).

Thanks. Now the question is....which one? With no one at SOS able to identify it, did it really exist?

Thanks again, Al

Salvage Sailor

Then, on 1 May 1960, the use of the VT designation was reinstituted

I stand corrected, Training Squadron VT-11 1950's early 1960's

VT 11 SAUFLEYS SATANS 001.jpg

TorpedoSquadron11

Check out VT-10's Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT-10

This looks like the timeframe and location that would coincide with Training Squadron Eleven (VT-11).

"...training operation for prospective Naval Aviation Observers who would receive follow on training.."

​This may explain the cowboy wearing a scarf/ bandana over his eyes (flying blind).

My guess, this was a one-off patch for a class of students/graduates and made off base (NAS Pensacola).

Thoughts?

Thanks for the link to VT-10. Very informative. It's curious that there was not even a brief mention of VT-11.

Al