• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
kilgarvan

Ideas for a Gentleman's "study" war room

Anybody make their man cave / war room into more of a "study"? I'm in the process of trying to make my war room more like a gentleman's study / library with a military twist. I'm thinking like antique desk, lots of books, gun / sword rack in dark wood, nice bottle of scotch out on a table with some leather chairs, etc, etc

Thoughts? Anybody out there do this? Got pics???

Thanks

"May God have mercy upon my enemies because I won't"
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived"
"Americans will not tolerate a loser"
-- General George S. Patton Jr.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Memoriam: Private First Class Vincent J. Zabbia

Company K, 3rd Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division

Wounded in Action: 30 March 1943 Hill 574 El Guettar, Tunisia

Died of Wounds: 9 April 1943

A trench art table lamp and some period images in nice frames for the walls.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

In my "Old" Room in Florida I had a lot of my medal collection hanging on the wall - When we moved to Tennessee I needed to declutter and decided that only "Family" related material was going on the walls such as my stuff and my fathers etc. - It gives the room a cleaner look - I got rid of the desk and acquired and antique drafting table 3' x 4' as my computer table which worked out well.

Bill

"The Americans on this Island are not ordinary troops, but Marines, a special force recruited from jails and insane asylums for blood lust." -Japanese Newspaper found during the Battle of Guadalcanal - "They Got That Right!!" Chesty Puller

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

A few years back now I acquired all matching furniture from one collection offered by Ashley Furniture. The collection is Cross Island. Though they have stopped production now, the office suite is still available. I have the desk, chair, and two mid-sized bookshelves in one room of the house. I promised my wife I wouldn't militarize our entire home, so the one room will suffice. I think it gives it a classy look overall. I have many framed pieces as well as several half mannequins to round out the room.

There are many different furniture options out there. Look around and have fun with it. It's your room, so make it all you!

WANTED: I collect materials of any age related to the US Army Quartermaster Corps and from the long-defunct Commissary / Subsistence Corps. Anything goes and it doesn't have to be identified to a vet. If it's weird or unusual, please PM me! ASMIC #5650

These photos are a couple of years old and my war room is much more “crowded” now but you can see the big leather club chairs and my little whiskey collection / bar in the corner to the right of the fireplace. I can send you some more ideas and photos if you PM me with your email address. I’ve made many changes since but my big comfy chairs and the whisky bar haven’t changed! ????

post-9167-0-12111600-1581569821.jpeg

post-9167-0-17217300-1581569800.jpeg

post-9167-0-86886600-1581569830.jpeg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items

Books and helmets make a nice combination; along with a few tasteful accessories on wallspace.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

I can add my 2c. I have never been a uniform guy, but saw a few posts with pictures of uniforms on mannequins....what a difference just one makes....my wife hates my " stuff", but when I pulled my 70's Airborne fatigue and field gear out of the duffel bag and mounted it on a mannequin, all seeing it were impressed. Point- ordnance, firearms, medals, helmets, vintage posters, swords, ordnance,...okay, but rooms are " enhanced" with a uniformed mannequin and give the room that museum "wow" look, which is exactly what your war room should feel like when entering it....wow...post-180924-0-40564500-1581654188_thumb.jpeg

Depending on what you are striving for, sometimes "less is more".

Some people take the approach of rather than openly displaying every item they own, they put out the selective best and store the rest. Otherwise it can turn into an assault on the eye with an overwhelming amount of clutter.

A few tasteful posters or large photos can also add to the atmosphere.

Be careful with lighting, especially if you are going to display photos or paper. Even some cloth uniform items can fade over due to prolonged light exposure.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

In a gentleman’s world less is more.

Someone less mature like myself the stuff is thick and everywhere.

At least that’s what it was like when I had hundreds of groupings.

donation2013.gif

This may spark some ideas

A camel saddle! I used to have a half dozen of them, wish I knew where they are...

post-180924-0-37625000-1582124378_thumb.jpeg Every room needs a comfortable chair, this one only $17,500.

Thanks for the help guys, keep the ideas coming....

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg Every room needs a comfortable chair, this one only $17,500.

Looks like a throne for Mars, God of War. Show that one to your significant other and then show them the pricetag!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

I agree with Gil about not displaying everything, but only a few choice items. In my case I can only display a few choice items. Wife and I moved from a home in Michigan where I had a full basement to display my items to a play here in Arizona where my collection has been regulated to a small upstairs area called a Loft. I have made it into a reading/alone time room. Much more of my collection is either under the table in plastic bins or in the two military wood crates or have sold since we moved here. My wife laughs at the orange leather chair I bought, but I tell her it's not orange, it's off tan.

post-1573-0-65499700-1582491082.jpg

post-1573-0-20555600-1582491095.jpg

post-1573-0-07802700-1582491113.jpg

donation2010.gif

No bottle of scotch...but custom built oak book shelves full of books and helmets is what I went with.

Man-Cave.jpg

Man-Cave3.jpg

And my man cave has its own man cave. All of my overflow and things I do not want on display goes in there.

Man-Cave4.jpg

I really love this thread! A nice combo of collecting militaria and quality design! ??

Still a work in progress. Need to hang a few framed items on the walls, hang some shelves, proper shades, and finish off the closet.

Chipping away at it when I can....

post-29885-0-30443700-1582565193_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-06682200-1582565225.jpg

Eric

ASMIC #5492

Are you a militaria collector in PA, NJ or DE? If so, please feel free to join my "Delaware Valley Militaria Collectors" page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MilitariaCollectorsOfDelawareValley#!/groups/DELVALMILITARIA/

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

No bottle of scotch...but custom built oak book shelves full of books and helmets is what I went with.

And my man cave has its own man cave. All of my overflow and things I do not want on display goes in there.

Man-Cave4.jpg

Whoa, very James Bond Villainesque! Well done!

Eric

ASMIC #5492

Are you a militaria collector in PA, NJ or DE? If so, please feel free to join my "Delaware Valley Militaria Collectors" page on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MilitariaCollectorsOfDelawareValley#!/groups/DELVALMILITARIA/

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Nothing beats a roll top desk, also a bookcase(s) because you accumulate needed books. I think the comment about light cannot be over stressed.

post-573-0-55739800-1583167272_thumb.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Love the roll top desk!

I consider my war room to be as much of a study/library as a display area, since most of my research into my collection takes place there.

A table/desk is a must and as long as there is some room to work on it, it makes a great display area as well- I keep a marble chess board set on one, which I feel lends a gentlemans air to the room while keeping with the military theme.

Bookshelves lend themselves to both holding books as well as other items- the tops are the best places I have for displaying helmets, as shown in some of the posts above.

Another idea for furniture if you have the space is a hutch, like people use to display dishes in. A lot of display area in them for military items, and usually storage underneath. Often a quality piece of furniture can be had for cheap as people discard them after remodeling or moving. I have one that I am in the process of wiring lighting into for display of items.