Help Needed ID'ing USMC Taped HGU-33

mwesson030

Hi guys,

recently picked this up (still in the mail) and was wondering if anyone here knows what squadron this might be from. I'm fairly certain it is from a USMC squadron based on the glue marks for a camo cover, but I could be wrong. The wiring seems to be the standard setup for jet aircraft so helicopter/prop squadrons are out. Any guesses are greatly appreciated!

-Matt

post-172448-0-75526200-1581469863_thumb.jpg

post-172448-0-47968800-1581469870_thumb.jpg

Possibly VMA-223 "Bulldogs/Rainbows"?

The colors and patterns currently with modern squadron helmets seem to somewhat match.

post-172448-0-56412500-1581566792.jpeg

post-172448-0-78601500-1581566809_thumb.jpg

Really nice looking helmet! I would say your theory on VMA-223 is a good possibility.

Have you received the helmet yet? If so, is there a name?

Chris

Just got the helmet today. Unfortunately no name, at least that I can find. I did take a look under the visor and this seems to be a pretty early production HGU-33/p.

I guess it will really come down to luck whether or not I can find a early-mid 80s photo of one of these helmets in use.

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another strong squadron possibility would be VC-1. The tail color pattern seems to be very close to the shape and pattern on the helmet.

post-172448-0-93974800-1581970176_thumb.jpg

post-172448-0-94922000-1581970203_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
lancecriminal86

I have a nearly identically taped helmet coming my way, but it was originally a VTAS I shell! I plan to make a separate post on it when it arrives.

From what I gathered this helmet was used by a US Navy civilian who at some point was stationed at Pt Mugu, and per a suit against the Navy by an aviation contractor, his roles were:

"Supervisory Electronics Technician and the Chief Engineer for the Airborne Threat Simulation Group, as well as the official CINCPACFLT representative in the continental United States for airborne threat simulation devices".

I take that to mean he could have been working around/with E-2 Hawkeyes, EA-6B Prowlers, maybe target drones, or something related to those environments. I believe they set him up a helmet out of some necessity for him to ride along somewhere between the 70s through the 90s, as he was in the above position around 1998 when he was listed as a reference in a lawsuit against the US Navy.

I will of course let you know if I find anything out! It's very possible your helmet is quite literally "related" to mine.