New - Helicopter Pilots Helmet ?

The Rooster

I picked this up tonight. It appears to be an old helicopter pilots helmet? Unfortunately this is the only pic

I have of it. I bought it based on the pic and it actually cost more to ship it than to purchase it but all in all it seemed worth it

even with the high shipping charge.

I was wondering what you folks, flight helmet folks thought about this one as its a first for me.

Is it Vietnam era or newer? I took a chance on this one.

I just felt it was prob a good deal and I like it.

I don't have anything like it.

Thank you.

post-181333-0-22861800-1581469114_thumb.jpg

Late 70's to 80's US SPH-4 helicopter helmet. Yours seems to still have the full hardware for an NVG setup (elastic band with snaps plus velcro) as well. Definitely a solid start into US flight helmets.

Thank you ! Im digging it ! Interested to check out its construction as compared to an M1 helmet.

Im guessing that its plastic. ? More like a motorcycle helmet and not armored in any way?.

Yup, not armored. So far as I know, no flight helmets besides WW2 bomber crews and one very short lived ballistic helicopter helmet were made in large scale. When your helmet is stuck on your head for 5-10 hours, you really want it to be as light as possible. As for construction on the SPH-4, I'm not entirely sure. I would guess it is some kind of thin molded fiberglass fabric and not plastic.

Good point. Ive got a lightweight faker M1 helmet someone had made back in the day for the same reason. Weight.

Thanks Man !!!

Nice helmet Dave. I like it. Pretty cool looking. Post more pics when you actually receive it.

Thank sMatt. Looks like Im not going to recieve it.

I paid for it. I won it fair and square. The seller sends me a message on ebay and says

"Sorry ebay F'd up". And he relisted it for a ridiculous but it now.

No mention of a refund just sorry ebay f'd up...

I wrote back told him ebay F'd up is not going to cut it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264631681829?ViewItem=&item=264631681829

Ridiculous !!!

I dont know what to do about it.

That seller def has something up with them with that new price? 1200 for a old SPH-4 is hilarious, you could buy a brand new certified flight ready helmet either a SPH-5 or HGU-56 for close to that. Def can find surplus used and new helmets for far less than that. I surely think that someone shouldn't be asking such a price for only 1 lousy picture. Doesn't show the rear condition or the inside etc. There could be alot wrong with that internally for the age of it. Heck that old PVS-5 rubber tubing might be gone except for the 2 end halves where the snaps are. The commonly dry rotted out from age and crack away. Id price that helmet at 150 max. And that shouldn't be more than 25 bucks to ship. Ive never paid more than that in shipping getting flight helmets. Taking a guess from just looking at it with that 1 pic, Id say thats a 1978 contract.

it still has the band attached for the AN/PVS 5 goggles and the green M87, so agreed probably 78'ish.

there are plenty of SPH helmets out there and will be for some time to come

and can be found much cheaper with patience.

I bought it for 48 bucks. I was the only bidder. Unethical jerk cancelled the sale.

Ebay wont do anything. I know its not even close to being worth 1200.

The 57 shipping I could deal with seeing as how I won the bid at 48 bucks.The seller is unethical.

I have an Xtra Lg early 70s date SPH that Im not ever going to finish out that you (Rooster77) can have for the cost of shipping to you from Va.

The photo shows a 70s fiberglass shell, a retention and comms from the early 80s, hard plastic (not the ABS one) visor housing, new clear visor,

styrene liner and soft liner out of an SPH-4B and > I have most of the rest of the smaller hard parts to complete it.<

Would make a nice " upgraded" display piece when finished.

I'll never get around to this resto as Im primarily a fixed "wing (helmet) "nut" ;-)

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

post-173754-0-14531200-1581523747_thumb.jpg

I bought it for 48 bucks. I was the only bidder. Unethical jerk cancelled the sale.

Ebay wont do anything. I know its not even close to being worth 1200.

The 57 shipping I could deal with seeing as how I won the bid at 48 bucks.The seller is unethical.

I feel your pain, I had the same thing happen with a Russian ShL-50 helmet and Km-32 mask I won on eBay at a fairly good price but with high shipping costs. I figured the seller was recouping some of his profits in the shipping, but he cancelled the order after payment was made when he learned he could sell the item for more money.

Why eBay doesn't allow buyers a way to contest such actions is beyond me!

I have an Xtra Lg early 70s date SPH that Im not ever going to finish out that you (Rooster77) can have for the cost of shipping to you from Va.

The photo shows a 70s fiberglass shell, a retention and comms from the early 80s, hard plastic (not the ABS one) visor housing, new clear visor,

styrene liner and soft liner out of an SPH-4B and > I have most of the rest of the smaller hard parts to complete it.<

Would make a nice " upgraded" display piece when finished.

I'll never get around to this resto as Im primarily a fixed "wing (helmet) "nut" ;-)

PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

I want to thank Member AMT369D for the gift of this fine Helicopter Helmet.

Just when you start to get jaded about the world, someone comes along and does something really kind and makes you realise that there are a ton of good folks out there.

Much thanks and appreciation to US Military Forum Member

AMT369D

Thank you kindly Sir !!

Dave

post-181333-0-13532300-1582301469_thumb.jpg

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

Very nice!!

Great to see forum members helping one another!!!

Indeed, that was a very generous gift from AMT369D. Way to go!