508th PIR Depot engraved WIA PH

beerdragon54

Picked this up recently and am very happy to own it. He spent 71 days in the hospital for frost bite to his feet. I have done some preliminary research but nothing to show he jumped in 1944. I see he earned a CIB and Bronze Star.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhcoleterracina

I thought I read, probably in the book For Military Merit, that only air crews were qualified for a Purple Heart for frost bite. If you were in a fox hole you didn't. Did I mis-read?

...actually, the BSA notation stands for Bronze Service Arrowhead. Your man apparently made a combat jump in Southern France, which may mean he was originally assigned to the 509th PIB. The 509th was decimated during the Battle of the Bulge and its survivors were rolled in to the 82nd Airborne Division.

...actually, the BSA notation stands for Bronze Service Arrowhead. Your man apparently made a combat jump in Southern France, which may mean he was originally assigned to the 509th PIB. The 509th was decimated during the Battle of the Bulge and its survivors were rolled in to the 82nd Airborne Division.

Thanks for the info, Kadet!! I will keep that in mind. Hopefully his records shine some more light that I hope to share.

• 4 weeks later...
BigJohn#3RD

This is from the Army’s website.c2808a7c78b1219b7a1dfaa27622e525.jpg

When looking at the information found online about concerning the Purple Heart medal, the criteria for the award of the Purple Heart medal have evolved several times over the years. Therefore the posting in current a DoD website does not reflect the requirements in 1944 and 1945.