Sign in to follow this  
redone

1960s 4th Armored 16 Artillery Uniform with BLUE STREAK Pin ?

I found this 1960 dated 4th Armored Division uniform. It's a standard issue class a uniform with a period 4th Armored Div SSI and German made 16th Artillery crests. I trying ti find out what the Blue Streak pin is for. Anyone out there know or ever come one before. It's made like a screw back US crest and has no maker marks.

post-1056-0-97766000-1581374615.jpg

post-1056-0-75412600-1581374624.jpg

post-1056-0-99022000-1581374637.jpg

post-1056-0-86236800-1581374660.jpg

It appears it might be for a sort of priority ordering system. From the usarmygermany.com website:

"(Source: STARS & STRIPES, July 16, 1959)
The 181st Trans Bn delivers technical services maintenance orders from warehouses primarily in the Mannheim area to direct support units anywhere in southern Germany between the French and Czech borders. This mission is part of Project MASS - 7th Army's logistics system that was implemented in July 1956.

When MASS orders are placed with a storage depot, warehouse personnel "flash" a message to the Operations Room of the 181st. Then, a driver of the subordinate 41st, 51st or 342nd Trans Co receives a route order and he is on his way. When the driver is transporting regular orders, he is limited to driving only during daylight hours. However, when driving "Blue Streak" orders (priorty items), the driver rolls around the clock. Three daily air routes deliver Blue Streak items.

Vehicles of the 181st travel on average about 250,000 miles a month."

This is one example I could find; there were others if you search it.

Bill

Neat! Makes sense with the Driver's Badge.

Best,

Peter

An Army Officer with too much affection for USAAF/USAF uniforms and flight jackets; donation2015.gif

It appears it might be for a sort of priority ordering system. From the usarmygermany.com website:

"(Source: STARS & STRIPES, July 16, 1959)

The 181st Trans Bn delivers technical services maintenance orders from warehouses primarily in the Mannheim area to direct support units anywhere in southern Germany between the French and Czech borders. This mission is part of Project MASS - 7th Army's logistics system that was implemented in July 1956.

When MASS orders are placed with a storage depot, warehouse personnel "flash" a message to the Operations Room of the 181st. Then, a driver of the subordinate 41st, 51st or 342nd Trans Co receives a route order and he is on his way. When the driver is transporting regular orders, he is limited to driving only during daylight hours. However, when driving "Blue Streak" orders (priorty items), the driver rolls around the clock. Three daily air routes deliver Blue Streak items.

Vehicles of the 181st travel on average about 250,000 miles a month."

This is one example I could find; there were others if you search it.

Bill

Wow. Thank you very much Bill. I appreciate you taking the time to research this.

Thanks again,

Chris (Redone)