1st Marine Division Aussie Uniform

Countryman0331

Countryman0331

Here is what is known as an "Aussie" jacket. When the 1st Marine Division arrived in Australia after heavy combat in Guadalcanal early 1943, they were issued the Australian battle dress blouse and trousers, because of a shortage of US forest green service uniforms. This uniform is named to a William H. Brintrup. William grew up in Long Island, New York and would enlist into the Marine Corps on October 10th 1940. William would serve as a Mortarman (MOS 607) in 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division. William would fight on Guadalcanal, taking part in key battles such as Edson Ridge, Matanikau River, and the Battle of Tulagi. After the rough fighting and living conditions on Guadalcanal, William would disembark in Australia with the rest of his unit for some well earned rest and liberty. This is also where the uniform depicted would be issued to him. The good times in Australia would come to an end and William as well as the rest of the 1st Marine Division would start heading for Cape Gloucester. From December 29th 1943 - February 10th 1944 William would participate in offensive and defensive operations at Cape Gloucester. After actions at Cape Gloucester, the 1st Marine Division would set up a temporary home in Pavuvu. Luckily William would only spend a few months here before finally having the opportunity to sail home. By the 7th of July 1944 William would finally reach American soil and disembarked at San Diego, California. William was lucky to make it through heavy combat without suffering any injuries from the enemy. On the 18th of September 1945, Williams would be honorably discharged from the Marine Corps.

post-279431-0-54622500-1581312611_thumb.jpg

The 1st Div. patch on the right arm. Don't they usually wear their division patch on the left arm? I can't see from the pictures if there is a patch on the left arm. Would this be correct? Dave

I was about to post about that Dave, yes, normally on the wearer's left arm.....

I think I remember seeing another Aussie 1st marine jacket with it on the other arm....

Found it:

https://airbornejumpjacket.com/2013/02/11/ww2-first-marine-division-australian-made-uniform-jacket-with-theater-made-patch/

Cheers, John

Countryman0331

That was just a typo in his service record. Everything else with his name in the service record is spelt correctly.

Countryman0331

The 1st Div. patch on the right arm. Don't they usually wear their division patch on the left arm? I can't see from the pictures if there is a patch on the left arm. Would this be correct? Dave

post-279431-0-48745100-1581349469_thumb.jpeg

Generally the patch was always worn on the left shoulder. The only time SSI is seen on the right shoulder is with the Aussie jackets. If you take a look at a lot of period photos, most Marines have the patch on the right shoulder on Aussies

Great photograph. I'm glad to find out about the Aussie jackets having the patch on the right arm. This is my lesson for today from the Forum. If you hang around long enough you are bound to learn something new each day. This is the greatest site on the Internet. Thanks again, Dave

• 3 years later...
Marine 1st

This is a great site. This uniform William Brintrup is my Dad. I would love to find out where this is displayed.