T-handle shovel

Jeff

I picked up a t-handle shovel this fall at a estate sale. My question: I see no U.S. markings or dates were I have seen them on every t-handle I have seen. So I was wondering if this is usual for government issue or was there a civilian make for these shovels. thanks for the help. Jeff

Hello jef,

I will check mine when I get home to see if it has markings and will let you know, I also will ask my friend who is collecting already us ww2 for 25 years and his father 25 years before him, he should know,

Best,

I picked up a t-handle shovel this fall at a estate sale. My question: I see no U.S. markings or dates were I have seen them on every t-handle I have seen. So I was wondering if this is usual for government issue or was there a civilian make for these shovels. thanks for the help. Jeff

Hello Jef,

I checked my own that was used in Europe in ww2 and it had U S on the handle. My friend also told me that US should be on the handle. To make sure check google, there is a lot of information on there about these shovels, just look for "ww2 t handle shovel" and look for pictures oke

Here you can see my shovel www.saylerscreekrelics.com/militia1.htm

I know a lot were manufactured, maybe you can put some pictures on this forum so I can see it.

Best regards,

Nick

Greg Robinson

Most WW2 shovels were marked with maker name and date on the blade tang. On those dated shovels a "US" on the wooden handle usually means it was replaced since when new the wood was unmarked.

I own one of the so called "USMC" shovels with the reinforced tang and it's totally unmarked. But those have never been authenticated as being US military issue.