UNIS marked corpsman medics bag 431

ArchangelDM

I won this from eBay a few months back and thought I would share it.

Commonly these USN bags where used on their own with just the all purpose strap. Many corpsman in the PTO can be seen with just one slung over their shoulder.

The UNIS marking 431 would be 24th IR 3rd Battalion HQ Company of the 4th Marine Division.

The bag shows lots of dirt and wear, the early khaki colour has almost gone a sandy colour from dirt and light exposure.

On close inspection there is a name on the lid that is written in pencil, unfortunately it cannot be read. Under every scope I have it is just impossible.

Ive started my corpsman mannequin and added the bag to that,

On the mannequin is the correct USN yoke coupled with 2 USN corpsman bags. One is also TAC marked for beac party APA 201.

The USS MENARD (APA 201) was a Haskell-class attack transport that saw service with the US Navy

The ship was part of the invasion of Okinawa,

Menard closed the coast of Okinawa early 1 April and boatloaded her assault troops for the amphibious sweep to the invasion beaches. Thence, she began off-loading support cargo; despite numerous antishipping strikes by Japanese bombing and suicide planes, she continued these vital supply operations during the next week.

A very interesting bag seeing it was actually on this amazing boat and being TAC marked made it on the beach.

I hope you all enjoy the pics

post-8861-0-51209000-1581249405_thumb.jpeg

post-8861-0-02338600-1581249415_thumb.jpeg

BILL THE PATCH

Did you try a blacklight or infrared light, they say it brings out the letters better?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

That's a great piece of kit. The later war army medic bags used the same retraction system with the snap buttons instead of the laces. Would the corpsman kit have been the inspiration for that adjustment?

That's a great piece of kit. The later war army medic bags used the same retraction system with the snap buttons instead of the laces. Would the corpsman kit have been the inspiration for that adjustment?

Hi Ken

Im not sure, like you stated the early version had the laces. Maybe they did take inspiration from the navy med bags.

Original photos of mine showing the single bag used slung over the shoulder.

Also to note the use of the USMC camo cover used with the 2inch net.

Very cool

post-8861-0-12283000-1581852958.jpeg

Your APA marked bag is also marked on the back UNIT 1, which makes it the medical officers bag.

Great spot Thank you , I was having problems reading that