Sign in to follow this  

My 70's 82nd Airborne mannequin.

As you may know, I am putting displays up at our local Legion. As I was in the 82nd mid 70's and had some of my stuff sitting in a duffel bag, I got motivated to see what I could assemble. First, I bought from a seller here a set of LBE, pack, canteens, dated 60's ,70's ( the same mix and match stuff I remember wearing- remember it was Carter's army). Found a top mannequin, large, threw it on my father's plant stand he built in his 1943 shop class ( he was 86th Infantry, WW2), then added stuff on hand. M26, M67, smoke and incendiary grenades, belted 7.62, bandoleer, etc....here is the initial outcome. I will be hammering out details and figuring out how to stop sticky fingers when displayed.post-180924-0-24508500-1581203796_thumb.jpeg

post-180924-0-89676600-1581203991_thumb.jpeg 1975 dated bando with charging spoon, booby pin, etc...The M193 5.56 was what we had for ammo back then, the 55 grain stuff for the M16A1.

As I am an ordnance guy, I am debating whether or not to Hollywood Rambo him out, maybe a claymore, a few M18 smokes, another 7.62 ammo belt or just keep it " real". Helmet or Beret, I have time. It took a bit of time to load up a 125 rd belt, ah, maybe 250 would look better? M60 gunners let me know what you and your assistant gunners humped.

R,

Great display that will educate and "airs out" some of your gear. IMHO, I would go with the Helmet or Beret. Although, having a 250 rd belt would look good as you could crisscross on the chest giving that "Hollywood" look.

Thank you for your service!

John

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Took your advice on the head gear. A spare pot to test viability, I bent up a stainless welding rod and it is strong enough to hold the helmet. I loaded up a few more 7.62 to make a 130 round belt. I will shed the M60 MG belt box bando, and in spare time load up another belt for the iconic Rambo look. Problem is I only have black tipped AP bullets. I need to find out how a late Vietnam AP belt was loaded. Added an M18 smoke to keep the M14 Incendiary company.post-180924-0-93902100-1581276326_thumb.jpeg

The mannequin I put together. As I mentioned, my father made the plant stand in shop class ( 1943) before being drafted. I had to drill a 5/8th hole through the top , but I am sure he wouldn't mind....my aunt gave me it 4 years ago as she was going to pitch it. Posted to illustrate design ideas....when my display does some "duty " at the Legion, I am thinking of assembling a WW2 jacket with his medals on it.post-180924-0-95240000-1581361576_thumb.jpeg

Great uniform and equipment mannequin. Looks very good. Thanks for the pic of your standing.

John, took your advice...took the best part of a day to size and load up another belt...had to use 4 AP, 1 TR as thats all I had laying around in projectiles...those mil spec LC brass cases were a real pain to resize due to its thicker cases. Anyway, done with it, waiting to move Rambo to the Legion.post-180924-0-23979300-1581435039_thumb.jpeg

Put together an M60 ammo bandoleer together. I had a few but this one ( dated 83) was the only one ink stamped with manufacture, 100 rds, linked,etc. All the others were 85 and later, and had no ink stampings on the canvas. I suspect they dropped inking the canvas and went to inking the cardboard boxes?...anyway, Rambo will find a place for them....can't have enough ammo, without the belts it would be just another dummy.post-180924-0-12492100-1581800634_thumb.jpeg

Well done

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I picked up a nice Ames 1968 e tool, cover and Vietnam M7 ( Conetta) bayonet so Rambo gets to wear it. I realize most did not like to wear the awkward shovel on their belt, but that is specified as it's place. The shop has about a dozen e tools dated from 1964-1969 with cover and wanted $80.....I bit the bullet and paid it along with the 2 bayonets at $40 each.....I learned long ago not to let a few bucks kill a deal....besides, my 13 year old loves to play with the bayonet, keeps him off the computer.post-180924-0-39151100-1583256273_thumb.jpeg

Good display

SFC Ruiz M

Ordnance ARMY

Very nice display. I see that one of your canteens is metal, were you issued that in the 82nd in the mid-1970's? And I am guessing that the canvas M-1942 pouch attached to the Field Pack or "butt pack" was for a compass?

I completely agree about not walking away from an item over a few dollars. I often tell people that if you see something you want just grab it, unless of course it is greatly over priced. Trying to save a few dollars you will end up spending more money in gas, admissions to shows etc.. looking for that same item you passed up.

Again well done and that will display nicely at your AL post.

A very well put together mannequin - congrats

- DC

"Rise and rise again until lambs become lions."

Always looking for ww2 USMC items, helmets and any camo'd items

"thinking outside of the box"

New website

https://combatusedmilitaria.com

Very nice display. I see that one of your canteens is metal, were you issued that in the 82nd in the mid-1970's? And I am guessing that the canvas M-1942 pouch attached to the Field Pack or "butt pack" was for a compass?

I completely agree about not walking away from an item over a few dollars. I often tell people that if you see something you want just grab it, unless of course it is greatly over priced. Trying to save a few dollars you will end up spending more money in gas, admissions to shows etc.. looking for that same item you passed up.

Again well done and that will display nicely at your AL post.

Thank you for the compliment. The metal canteen was not issued in our field gear, we had plastic.I can only remember most of our field gear was dated 60's- early 70's. I do also rember getting issued the Alice pack but still had the old style butt pack. Remember, Carter's army. I bought from a member here a " representative " Vietnam issued gear set. I do remember both the new style folding handle and also the traditional wood handled e tool. Grenade question, I included both the M21 lemon and M67 as both were in use. I remember throwing on the grenade range with both models. I do realize I have an excess of " stuff" hanging all over the place ( smoke, incendiary, bayonet, machete, MG 100 rd box, two 150 rd belts, flashlight)....but as this is intended to be displayed in public, and will allow handling, I geared it up for the wow " Rambo " effect, enticing our 11B serviceman to engage and call BS on some points....

Thanks to a post on the forum, a Vietnam dated picture was found on how a machete was placed. Placed on the bottom of the butt pack. This poor Paratrooper just keeps getting it piled on.post-180924-0-33407900-1584292295_thumb.jpeg