World War 1 painted helmet question

Kansas Raider

Kansas Raider

I have a WW1 painted helmet (137th Inf.). The paint is dull, is there anyway to brighten up the paint up? Thanks Steve

tdogchristy90

I would leave it as well. It is always best to display an item as is and let it speak for itself. If you start "messing" with it, you'll do more harm than good.

• 2 weeks later...

If it was mine and I wanted to clean it up, the most I might do would be rinse it off with water.

Lightly with a soft towel blot it off on one small spot and let it dry and see if it helps remove the dust etc.

Its totally up to you what you do with it because its yours after all.

But Water is all I'd use, If I wanted to clean it up.

I'm a bit of a "Johnny come lately" here and it appears you already made the right choice in leaving it as is. So, I am just speaking from a personal point of view. Your helmet is very nice and exactly as I'd want it for my collection. To do anything to it would be a mistake in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
Colt Tanker

Lightly clean with a soft bristle tooth brush and Windex a small section at a time and rinse with water. That will only remove the storage dirt/dust from the surface and not damage any of the original paint and finish/patina. Storage dirt is not patina.