Kansas Raider

World War 1 painted helmet question

I have a WW1 painted helmet (137th Inf.). The paint is dull, is there anyway to brighten up the paint up? Thanks Steve

I personally wouldnt do anything to it, other than keep it stored in correct conditions.

Check out my eBay page, I sell military insignia and just about anything else I come across

Link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/fitzkeemilitaria/m.html?item=223497878518&hash=item340982fbf6%3Ag%3ASs4AAOSw-llcxhqe&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Please check out my web page as well for more items for sale

https://fitzkeemilitaria.com/

I would leave it as well. It is always best to display an item as is and let it speak for itself. If you start "messing" with it, you'll do more harm than good.

Wanted: Missouri Medals

I am always in search of Missouri Medals and Items. This could be anything from WW1, WW2, Prisoners of War, Ephemera, or anything pertaining to Missourians.

I thank you for your time and consideration.

-Without a witness, they just disappear.-

donation2020.gif

Can you post a pic of it?

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

If it was mine and I wanted to clean it up, the most I might do would be rinse it off with water.

Lightly with a soft towel blot it off on one small spot and let it dry and see if it helps remove the dust etc.

Its totally up to you what you do with it because its yours after all.

But Water is all I'd use, If I wanted to clean it up.

Or just do like everyone has said. You can ruin it trying to improve it.

I'm a bit of a "Johnny come lately" here and it appears you already made the right choice in leaving it as is. So, I am just speaking from a personal point of view. Your helmet is very nice and exactly as I'd want it for my collection. To do anything to it would be a mistake in my opinion.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Lightly clean with a soft bristle tooth brush and Windex a small section at a time and rinse with water. That will only remove the storage dirt/dust from the surface and not damage any of the original paint and finish/patina. Storage dirt is not patina.