*British Lend Lease M1 Rifles -Master List

arnhem44mad

Hi there everyone I recently picked up a deactivated rifle in UK which turned out to be a British Lend Lease. Could not believe it.

Anyway myself and some friends have decides to creatw a Facebook group with the aim of working towards creating a master list of all British Lend Lease M1 rifles which we come across.

You can find the group on Facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2395401994104009/

If you are nit Facebook Savvy but would lke to take part please PM me a pic of your rifle serial nunber along with the British Lend Lease Stamps -

1. Barrel on right side at date or left sode in front of front Handguard.

2. Bolt on top (No matter how small markings) on right lug or at the front near the centre of the bolt.

3. Receiver ring above chamber area.

4. Any evidence of red paint.

5. Any black Sunkorite paint finish which maybe left on your M1.

6. Please give as many pics or as clear a description of all the parts your m1 has including codes and any data sheets which you may have created.

Thank you!

Scott

It is worth mentioning that some of these that were very late shipments are only British-proof marked along the top of the barrel, behind the rear sight....no barrel markings when you pull back the op rod to look or any place else. Mine is so marked and is in the 664xxx range with a barrel date of 6-42....it wasn’t long after this that Lend-Lease M1 shipments ceased to the UK.

I have a 1942 .303 Enfield marked U. S. Propoerty that I think is a Savage but the hand gaurds cover the top of the barrel where the markings are. I bought the rifle at a yard sale about 10 years ago with some of the cosmaline still on it and put it back together when it was clean; haven't seen the the markings since so I'm not completely sure it's a Savage. Steve

Thank you everyone for your replies and interest.

I have a friend with serial 451,576. His m1 Has almost no markings on it. The only markings on top of the barrel at the very bottom after receiver and it does not say TONSPER but only NITRO and some numbers etc.

We cannot figure out the meaning of this!

Scott

And do you mean behind the front site mate?

That is also where my own is marked however it is serial 390588.

Scott

And do you mean behind the front site mate?

That is also where my own is marked however it is serial 390588.

Scott

Yes, front....why I typed rear I have no idea...oh well ;)