WWII Disney & Lantz etc patch designs in stamp album

Bob Hudson

This is a 4 volume boxed set of colorful informative stamp albums produced during World War II, featuring patch designs from Disney Studios, Walter Lantz (Woody Woodpecker) and other artists. All volumes appear to be full, which which is over 200 large stamps.

Forum member DisneyDave talks about the these in a couple of threads including at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8188-629th-tank-destroyer-battalion/ where he notes,

"They were a money making, circulation boosting, marketing venture employed by the Hearst newspaper chain.

Hearst published a total of five insignia stamp albums. Each album had a space for 50 differed gummed stamps and each space contained a paragraph or two about the unit featured in the esign.

The albums were sold for 15 cents each by the different Hearst newspapers across the United States and were imprinted on the top of the front cover with the name of the newspaper.

The newspapers had an insignia column in which they reprinted black and white versions of the insignia stamps. The readers were supposed to cut these out and send them to the newspaper, who in turn would send the color, gummed stamp back to the customer."

Volume 1 has a different title than the other three volumes- COMBAT INSIGNIA STAMPS versus WAR INSIGNIA STAMP ALBUM. All are in good shape. The box is covered in stamps with printed details on the bottom: it says this was a four volume set, not 5. I put some archival tape on broken box corners, but other than that, the set is in nice condition.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Bob - Wonderful history. Thanks for posting these. Much useful & historical info on these pages. They preceded the National Geographic pubs on insignia and educated the wartime Homefront. Any collector who has an interest in WWII squadron/unit insignia should be on the lookout for a set. I've had one for many years though the condition of yours is superior. Thanks again.

EXCELLENT POST! Bobgee

This set is part of what was called the POSTAMP SERIES which included similar albums for non-military subjects.

• 4 weeks later...

The box is quite rare. Love the box!

When I first got it I thought some kid stuck a bunch of stamps on a letterhead box - but when I saw the printing on the back I knew differently.