CMP M1D Question

BryanJ

A couple of years ago, and only for a few weeks, CMP had a deal on an M1D with M84 scope, and cheek pad. The price was originally $2500 and quickly jumped up to $2800 based on demand I guess. I asked around on the CMP forum at that time, if anyone knew the source of the M1D’s, and don’t think I ever got a definite answer. Anyone here know the source where they came from?

CMP doesn't buy these weapons on the open surplus market. The Army turns them over to the CMP, now where they returned from over seas likely but usually this kind of information is not put out. I think you can find articles on the latest return from the Phillipines of M-1

olivedrab1970

CMP doesn't buy these weapons on the open surplus market. The Army turns them over to the CMP, now where they returned from over seas likely but usually this kind of information is not put out. I think you can find articles on the latest return from the Phillipines of M-1

I agree, the latest finds of M-1C/D will most likely be the Philippine Army leased weapons returns.

I want to say that some of the ones from a few years ago (per the OP's question) were Greek returns? Not 100% sure though.I am surprised the CMP Forum crew could not answer that. Might be worth re-posting the question there.

Yes there was a large return from Greece a few years ago, it had a load of 1903 A1's in it and most were in decent shootable shape. I think Korea is sitting on a bunch of M-1 Carbines and Garands also.

olivedrab1970

The Greek CMP rifles where in descent condition, my first M-1 Garand was a Greek from CMP back 13 years or so. I actually have one of the last M-1 Carbines released through CMP, 1943 Underwood I paid $650 for. This Carbine was released from the US Army to CMP in 2016 and was not returned from abroad.

Robin-

I went up to Anniston and got one of the M1D’s about a year or so ago. They had one the morning I was there, and as luck would have it, it was a Winchester. There was a lot of buzz at that time about whether they were Greek returns, but there was never anything definitive about where they originated from.