Navy Shoulder Sleeve Insignia opinion

cerick1450

OH, I have a question. I believe I have seen both right and left facing eagle Navy cloth insignia. Is one later/rarer than the other??

OH, I have a question. I believe I have seen both right and left facing eagle Navy cloth insignia. Is one later/rarer than the other??

. Prior to 1940, all eagles faced to THEIR Left. Some rates were worn on the right sleeve ( eagle faced forward). Other rates were worn on the left sleeve ( eagle faced backwards). In 1940, that was changed so that those rates worn on the left sleeve, faced forward. Those rates worn on the right sleeve, remained unchanged. In 1948, it was decided to put all rates on the left sleeve. So, all the Right Arm Rates had the eagles head turned to face forward on the left sleeve too.

So the one I have pictured that started this tread is a left facing eagle. Correct? It would be proper to be worn on the right sleeve, so the eagle faces forward.. Correct? ...

Thank you for the assistance. Sorry for all the questions

So the one I have pictured that started this tread is a left facing eagle. Correct? It would be proper to be worn on the right sleeve, so the eagle faces forward.. Correct? ...

Thank you for the assistance. Sorry for all the questions

. Yes. Quartermaster was a Right Arm Rate. BTW, in the Navy, Quartermasters were assistants to the Navigator. Responsible for maintaining all navigation equipment, charts, logs and publications. And, Master Helmsmen.

. Prior to 1940, all eagles faced to THEIR Left. Some rates were worn on the right sleeve ( eagle faced forward). Other rates were worn on the left sleeve ( eagle faced backwards). In 1940, that was changed so that those rates worn on the left sleeve, faced forward. Those rates worn on the right sleeve, remained unchanged. In 1948, it was decided to put all rates on the left sleeve. So, all the Right Arm Rates had the eagles head turned to face forward on the left sleeve too.

For the sake of accuracy, the change was in 1941.

"The uniform regulations of 31 May 1941 specified that the eagle was to face to the left in the rates comprising the Seaman Branch: Boatswain Mate, Turret Captain, Signalman, Gunner's Mate, Fire Controlman, Quartermaster, Mineman and Torpedoman's Mate. All other rating badges were to have an eagle facing to the right."

https://www.history.navy.mil

Hello

How does this 1943 Shoulder sleeve insignia look? Original WW2 1943?

Thank you

Looks fine to me. This rate would probably be in the $1 bin at a show, so don't see anyone making reproductions. Some rates are being reproduced, but only for more rare examples.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I was just thinking about when fabric or felt separately applied chevrons may have been eliminated. I was thinking of the CPO khaki rates as a possible guideline. When was the khaki blouse phased out for officers and CPOs? But, I just saw the thread with David's Nuclear Weaponsman rates by Lion Bros. with what are probably wool felt red chevrons. That blows my understanding that Lion Bros. ceased making that style of rating around 1950, which I got from a letter from Lion Bros. back in 1988. Interesting.

Hi Guys, I was just thinking about when fabric or felt separately applied chevrons may have been eliminated. I was thinking of the CPO khaki rates as a possible guideline. When was the khaki blouse phased out for officers and CPOs? But, I just saw the thread with David's Nuclear Weaponsman rates by Lion Bros. with what are probably wool felt red chevrons. That blows my understanding that Lion Bros. ceased making that style of rating around 1950, which I got from a letter from Lion Bros. back in 1988. Interesting.

. The khaki jacket was phased out in 1975. But, I have a left arm Chief Signalman crow, on a khaki jacket. Billion eagle and flags, with applied felt chevrons. The SM rating was right arm until

1948, when it was abolished. It was revived in 1957, and was then on the left sleeve. So, there is an applied CPO khaki rating badge with applied felt chevrons, that would be no earlier than 1957.

As an added bonus, the crossed flags have spear points on them, which have been previously identified as USCG. SM was abolished in the CG in 1948 and not revived. So, its a manufacturers variation.