OISE tab/rocker- what is it?

dan_the_hun84

dan_the_hun84

I just snagged this group off of ebay as its named and numbered and I like engineer stuff.

I have seen/owned a few jackets with the OISE tab/rocker- but I have never been able to get clarity on what it was FOR

I have seen it in conjunction with the ADSEC patch, as well as it being worn alone on the right bottom sleeve

any info would be useful- can only find blurbs here and there on what OISE was

post-52690-0-70661400-1581020012.jpg

post-52690-0-43495200-1581020032.jpg

The patch the OISE "rocker" is worn with is not an ADSEC patch - it is the patch for Headquarters, European Theater of Operations, United States Army, Communications Zone, aka COM Z. The ADSEC rocker is worn attached to the COM Z patch, too.

The COMZ patch is worn with a LOT of different rockers-scrolls-tabs.

BILL THE PATCH

Are oise tabs french made?, And does it stand for operations in southern Europe?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Salvage Sailor

Oise is a department in the north of France. It is named after the river Oise

Oise Intermediate Section, Headquarters at Fontainebleau

See page 351 here & page 380 here

In September plans called for the creation of two additional sections to complete the continental COMZ organization. One of these was to be the Oise Section, which was scheduled to take over the area east of Paris as territory was relinquished by the Advance Section; the other was to be Channel Base Section, scheduled to develop the Le Havre-Rouen area. Both sections were activated and began operations in September, although the assignment of their respective missions was attended by some confusion.

It will be recalled that originally Colonel Jacobs had tentatively been given command of Base Section No. 3 and a planning mission for the Continent. Early in August the transfer of the bulk of his headquarters to Cherbourg to build up Colonel Wyman's organization had left Colonel Jacobs without a command. Later in the month another headquarters, known as Base Section No. 4, was constituted with Colonel Jacobs in command, and tagged as an intermediate section. On 3 September this headquarters was officially redesignated Oise Section and opened at Fontainebleau.
A week later Channel Base Section was activated under the command of General Thrasher, who was given this assignment rather than that of deputy commander of the U.K. Base. Before either Oise or Channel could actually become operational, however, it was decided to switch their missions because Colonel Jacobs' organization was considered better qualified by reason of its personnel and experience for port development and operation. Consequently on 15 September the original Oise Section was redesignated Channel Base Section, under the command of Colonel Jacobs, and Channel Base Section was renamed Oise and placed under the command of General Thrasher.
Neither of the two newly activated sections was immediately assigned area responsibility. Channel Base Section presented a special problem because it was to operate ports lying in British territory, north of the boundary between the 21 and 12th Army Groups. Its operations thus required crossing British lines of communication and violated the principle established by the OVERLORD planners that U.S. and British lines of communication should be kept completely separate. The resulting situation paralleled closely the relationship between British and American forces at ports in the United Kingdom, and naturally called for close co-operation. Early in October Channel Base Section was given control of Le Havre and the immediate vicinity except for civil affairs functions, thus becoming a small enclave within British-controlled territory. U.S. activities in the British territory--transportation, for example--were handled by Normandy Base Section west of the Seine and by Channel Base Section east of that river.

Oise Section's development, meanwhile, was somewhat arrested, and not strictly in keeping with original intentions. The drawing of boundaries and the assignment of a definite territory to General Thrasher's headquarters proved infeasible at first because of the lack of troops to carry out area responsibilities. For the first weeks, therefore, Oise Section functioned in territory actually assigned to the Advance Section. Communications Zone redrew the latter's boundaries early in October, and Oise at that time assumed area control of the territory between the Advance Section and Seine Section. Its domain subsequently grew several times as the changes in Advance Section's boundaries conformed with the forward movement of the armies. The bad logistic situation in the fall meanwhile made it impossible for Oise Section to develop into a true intermediate section as intended. Almost all supplies forwarded in September and October were immediately consumed, with the result that few intermediate depots could be established. Consequently Oise Section's functions were limited mainly to rail and road maintenance and the supply of units stationed within its own borders.

Source: Logistical Support of the Armies: September 1944 to May 1945, Roland G. Ruppenthal

dan_the_hun84

Oise is a department in the north of France. It is named after the river Oise

Oise Intermediate Section, Headquarters at Fontainebleau

See page 351 here & page 380 here

In September plans called for the creation of two additional sections to complete the continental COMZ organization. One of these was to be the Oise Section, which was scheduled to take over the area east of Paris as territory was relinquished by the Advance Section; the other was to be Channel Base Section, scheduled to develop the Le Havre-Rouen area. Both sections were activated and began operations in September, although the assignment of their respective missions was attended by some confusion.

It will be recalled that originally Colonel Jacobs had tentatively been given command of Base Section No. 3 and a planning mission for the Continent. Early in August the transfer of the bulk of his headquarters to Cherbourg to build up Colonel Wyman's organization had left Colonel Jacobs without a command. Later in the month another headquarters, known as Base Section No. 4, was constituted with Colonel Jacobs in command, and tagged as an intermediate section. On 3 September this headquarters was officially redesignated Oise Section and opened at Fontainebleau.
A week later Channel Base Section was activated under the command of General Thrasher, who was given this assignment rather than that of deputy commander of the U.K. Base. Before either Oise or Channel could actually become operational, however, it was decided to switch their missions because Colonel Jacobs' organization was considered better qualified by reason of its personnel and experience for port development and operation. Consequently on 15 September the original Oise Section was redesignated Channel Base Section, under the command of Colonel Jacobs, and Channel Base Section was renamed Oise and placed under the command of General Thrasher.
Neither of the two newly activated sections was immediately assigned area responsibility. Channel Base Section presented a special problem because it was to operate ports lying in British territory, north of the boundary between the 21 and 12th Army Groups. Its operations thus required crossing British lines of communication and violated the principle established by the OVERLORD planners that U.S. and British lines of communication should be kept completely separate. The resulting situation paralleled closely the relationship between British and American forces at ports in the United Kingdom, and naturally called for close co-operation. Early in October Channel Base Section was given control of Le Havre and the immediate vicinity except for civil affairs functions, thus becoming a small enclave within British-controlled territory. U.S. activities in the British territory--transportation, for example--were handled by Normandy Base Section west of the Seine and by Channel Base Section east of that river.

Oise Section's development, meanwhile, was somewhat arrested, and not strictly in keeping with original intentions. The drawing of boundaries and the assignment of a definite territory to General Thrasher's headquarters proved infeasible at first because of the lack of troops to carry out area responsibilities. For the first weeks, therefore, Oise Section functioned in territory actually assigned to the Advance Section. Communications Zone redrew the latter's boundaries early in October, and Oise at that time assumed area control of the territory between the Advance Section and Seine Section. Its domain subsequently grew several times as the changes in Advance Section's boundaries conformed with the forward movement of the armies. The bad logistic situation in the fall meanwhile made it impossible for Oise Section to develop into a true intermediate section as intended. Almost all supplies forwarded in September and October were immediately consumed, with the result that few intermediate depots could be established. Consequently Oise Section's functions were limited mainly to rail and road maintenance and the supply of units stationed within its own borders.

Source: Logistical Support of the Armies: September 1944 to May 1945, Roland G. Ruppenthal

Thanks for the info here! I always assumed it was an acronym of some sort like "Overseas Invasion Special Engineers" or something.

dan_the_hun84

Are oise tabs french made?, And does it stand for operations in southern Europe?

I always thought it was something like that or "Overseas Invasion Special Enginners" being you see them a lot on enginner, QM , Ord etc uniforms

I always thought it was something like that or "Overseas Invasion Special Enginners" being you see them a lot on enginner, QM , Ord etc uniforms

ERROR ERROR,

:lol: Sorry Dan, meant to reply to Bill the Patch :lol:

Wow I remember you calling the OISE Tab Operations in Southern Europe way back in 1975, remember you had this tab in you collection back then :lol: :D .

BILL THE PATCH

Yeah, but I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, you expect me to remember 1975, that's when I started to listen to the grateful dead, that explains it. Lol

Yeah, but I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night, you expect me to remember 1975, that's when I started to listen to the grateful dead, that explains it. Lol

I bet you remember Doug Kirschner's father's Japanese Wool 511th PIR FALCONS patch right, a patch so rare now I can't even find an original example online to post, you always wanted to buy it off hm, he always said no :lol:

BILL THE PATCH

Yes I remember, he traded it to me for a 101st, about a hour later he was at my house saying he wanted it back he brought Steve Quinn with him saying his dad was pissed. I had to give it back. That was a beautiful patch.

Yes I remember, he traded it to me for a 101st, about a hour later he was at my house saying he wanted it back he brought Steve Quinn with him saying his dad was pissed. I had to give it back. That was a beautiful patch.

No way, must of happened so fast that you never told me, I wonder where it is today, talked many times with his brother Jimbo over the years, he remembers the patch, and other stuff from his fathers time in the 11th Abn Div, like a yearbook or two, a coffee mug etc, but can't recall what happened to the patch. maybe Doug still got it.

BILL THE PATCH

No way, must of happened so fast that you never told me, I wonder where it is today, talked many times with his brother Jimbo over the years, he remembers the patch, and other stuff from his fathers time in the 11th Abn Div, like a yearbook or two, a coffee mug etc, but can't recall what happened to the patch. maybe Doug still got it.

It's funny I worked with his mother for years down at Queen's Abington, around 76th st, it's was parts for dishwashers, stoves etc etc. And yeah I only had the patch for about an hour. I remember I even traded a one piece 101st abn, and didn't even know at that time that there were two piece 101st. I wonder if that falcons patch was for a sports uniform.

Salvage Sailor

Topic hijacking is a USMF crime.....that's what it is.....

BILL THE PATCH

Topic hijacking is a USMF crime.....that's what it is.....

Oops, sorry got carried away down memory lane.