CPO airdale Avn Missile Tech sleeve rates

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

Recently picked these up. Obviously Post WW2 as missile were a Cold War thing, but I have two questions.

(1) When were these introduced and used, what period worn

And (2).. When did they quit wearing or phase out the green airdale uniforms

post-9131-0-94173500-1580851081_thumb.jpg

Aviation Guided Missileman. Worn from 1954 to 1960. I see this rate has sewn-down (as opposed to fully embroidered) chevrons, so probably dates from 1954.

It's a very nice one - not easy to find.

When did they quit wearing or phase out the green airdale uniforms

If I recall it was around 2010, but can't seem to find a reference online.

easterneagle87

The link was info on the NWU. I'm talking the 1940's- 1950's green airdale formal uniform. I'd like to see someone wearing this in the 1990s or 2000s. Or are you talking about the 60'-70's OG green like the Army OG107s? These are on better fabric than those crappy ones (IMOO).

The link was info on the NWU. I'm talking the 1940's- 1950's green airdale formal uniform. I'd like to see someone wearing this in the 1990s or 2000s. Or are you talking about the 60'-70's OG green like the Army OG107s? These are on better fabric than those crappy ones (IMOO).

. The Aviation GreennUniform (, green coat and trousers with khaki shirt, black tie and brown shoes, was actually considered a Working uniform. These rates are for that uniform, worn on the left sleeve of the coat.

Was that uniform really authorized up till 2010?

. Yes, but, I served from 1972-1999. Some of that around Aviation (carriers, Airedale buddies and such). Never saw it worn. Once civilian clothes were authorized for everyone, (1972 ish), most of these sorts of uniforms fell into disuse. Kept on the books, but almost never worn.

The link was info on the NWU.

It's in there.

I think the greens went optional in 1975. It could not be uniform of the day, and it was a lot of money for something with little occasion to wear. It is kind of surprising it stayed on the books for another 35 years.

It's in there.

I think the greens went optional in 1975. It could not be uniform of the day, and it was a lot of money for something with little occasion to wear. It is kind of surprising it stayed on the books for another 35 years.

. It was much like the Dress Khaki for CPO officers. Sharp, but expensive for something that had little or no reason to wear. Much like when there was the push to revive the dress khaki a few years ago. Everyone was all for it, thinking it would replace Whites. When they found out it was not replacing whites, was optional and costs around $700, interest quickly faded and that idea was dropped.

. It was much like the Dress Khaki for CPO officers. Sharp, but expensive for something that had little or no reason to wear. Much like when there was the push to revive the dress khaki a few years ago. Everyone was all for it, thinking it would replace Whites. When they found out it was not replacing whites, was optional and costs around $700, interest quickly faded and that idea was dropped.

But before '75 SD Khaki was required and could be uniform of the day ashore, right?
This is interesting, Intrepid plan of the day from March 1958, wash khakis for officers but working blue and aviation winter working listed as optional.