Iwo Jima invasion jacket marking

1943collector

1943collector

Gentleman

Can anyone identify the shoulder marking on this USMC HBT named jacket, was worn during the Iwo Jima invasion.

I am told the Red circle/meatball signified the first wave assault, it is painted on the shoulder and his name is stenciled on the back. There is also a small inside name R. Mc Garraugh.

Any info on invasion jacket markings and or their meanings.

post-4755-0-31026600-1580837786_thumb.jpg

post-4755-0-82520000-1580837978.jpg

post-4755-0-09093400-1580838065.jpg

1943collector

Gentleman

Can anyone identify the shoulder marking on this USMC HBT named jacket, was worn during the Iwo Jima invasion.

I am told the Red circle/meatball signified the first wave assault, it is painted on the shoulder and his name is stenciled on the back. There is also a small inside name R. Mc Garraugh.

Any info on invasion jacket markings and or their meanings.

Another picture of the marking

post-4755-0-82026800-1580838484.jpg

Raidercollector

Research shows he was in the 35th replacement draft at the time of iwo . Which where never at Iwo Jima. Unless ancestry is wrong. I can not find the 35th replacement draft any where that fought in WW2. maybe someone can shed some light on this marine. So becarefull.

Nick

My gut says that it is something more important then just first wave which doesn't seem that important to comunicate. I know white dots were used for corpsman and this thread seems to discuss them and come to the conclusion that they were engineers and shore party as a way to identify who was supposed to remain on the beach.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/124241-6th-marines-in-combat-at-okinawa-with-red-dots-on-jacket/

There were also other theories that it could be for a unit or to show who was supposed to land on a particular beach. Hope this helps.

Neat shirt

Believe the 35th replacement draft went to the 6th marine division for Okinawa invasion. Records show him with HQ Co. 29th marines, 6th marine div. by Jan. 1946. So, could be 6th marine div. marking or could be a beach party marking.

Best,

Bill K.

I believe it to be 6th Marine Division on Okinawa.

Unfortunately I don't know the significance of this particular shirt.

See the photos and book reference I found here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/265320-6th-marine-division-markings/

A shame the auction was pulled. I think we were all interested in that!! Maybe the new owner is here and knows more?

As a point of consideration, known UNIS reference for the 6th MARDIV has them assigned a circle. That said, I do not think I have ever seen a bona fide 6th MARDIV UNIS marking. Circles were used all over the place, and meant a lot of different things.

I concur on the red circle being shore party, and not just for Iwo, but for the PTO, in general. I posed this question to a good friend and fine author, Steve McCloud, many years ago, who asked several veterans, and they were unanimous in it being shore party.

In my archive I have a USN helmet marked with the same red circle and the vet to whom it belonged was indeed naval shore party. Also, many years back, I saw a set of P-42 camo utilities that sold and both coat and trousers had the painted red circle.

There is some color footage taken at Iwo of marines exiting and LCVP, filmed from the coxswain's position so you can see their backs, and some have the red circle painted on their dungarees at the leg joint.