Got this 8x11 photo of a US Command pilot and his gal today. What intrigued me was the wings above his right breast pocket. Can you id? Looks like the wings have a tri colored shield in the middle.

His ribbons are screwed up. The top row should be flipped and put the ARCOM (my left, his right). Then there is a ribbon on the bottom right. It's just two colors (half n half). Any idea what it represents?

This guy is a Colonel and he should have known how to put his ribbons on correctly. Maybe he was looking down and they looked right from that angle.

post-9131-0-64062500-1580794743.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Back of photo

post-9131-0-36994700-1580794810_thumb.jpg

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
French - Daguet / Aconit

To me, it looks like the top row of ribbons might be American Campaign, American Defense, Commendation ribbon with olc. The bottom row looks like PTO, WWII Victory, Philippine Liberation. As for the foreign wing, maybe Thailand? There isn't a whole lot of detail to the photo when it is enlarged.

Allan

Never under-estimate the power of prayer.

donation2007.gif

• 2 months later...

I figured it out. Closer magnification id's the foreign wings as Ecuador!! A small F A E is visible on the top of shield in the center of the wings.

The photo is obliviously post WW2, but must be just after the war as the back of the photo is stamped;

OFFICIAL PHOTO U.S. - A.A.F.

This guy is a full bird colonel and his ribbons are totally screwed up.

Top row; American Campaign, American Defense, Army Commendation (totally backwards)

Bottom row: Pacific Campaign, WW2 Victory and an unknow - un ID'd two tone ribbon (what is it?) Is it possible the ribbon is from Ecuador? To go along with the wings, but nothing I can find matches.

His uniform, summer khaki with full Colonel birds, Command pilot wings, US and Aviation branch insignia under those. After 1947 I don't believe the Avn branch insignia was authorized under the new "Air Force". Maybe some still wore them, I just don't know.

post-9131-0-03669900-1586153878_thumb.jpg

French - Daguet / Aconit

What I find a little amazing is the obsucrity of these foreign wings, I could see getting a set from Brazil as they could have been involved in the ferry flights based from there. But Ecuador? In WW2? Were we going to the Pacific from there? I know we had people every where, but just looking at a map, that doesn't make any sense. Feel free to chime in.

Will post the photo over to ebay, maybe some will want it.

French - Daguet / Aconit

• 2 weeks later...

What I find a little amazing is the obsucrity of these foreign wings, I could see getting a set from Brazil as they could have been involved in the ferry flights based from there. But Ecuador? In WW2? Were we going to the Pacific from there? I know we had people every where, but just looking at a map, that doesn't make any sense. Feel free to chime in.

During WW2, The Army Air Corps had a air base on the Galapagos Islands, which are part of Ecuador--- Maybe that's the connection.

During WW2, The Army Air Corps had a air base on the Galapagos Islands, which are part of Ecuador--- Maybe that's the connection.