VN 101st M1-C

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

Here's something neat off ebay. Seller had no clue what it was, just that it came from the estate of someone who served two tours in Vietnam, and retired as a Lt. Colonel. A lookup of the name the seller gave me shows that he enlisted in 1959, served in the 101st, and earned the Army Distinguished Service Medal, Bronze Star, Combat Infantryman Badge, Purple Heart, and Silver Star. Unfortunately his name is not in the helmet, so I can't prove it was his, but the circumstances seem the match up.

As for the facts of the helmet, the shell is a rear-seam, stainless rim, with VN-era M1-C straps and a thick sand repaint. The liner is a Firestone, and the cover a 1962 contract. There is a fabric Captain's insignia on the beach side, but I was unable to get a picture. Overall I think this helmet stands a real chance.

post-30085-0-44248100-1580783141_thumb.jpg

GeneralCheese

Excellent find, I would believe this story. Is there anyway to get his name from the seller?

Marty

I already have the name, just waiting to see if the seller has any more info.

That's a really sharp looking officer's set, I saw it sold on Ebay and was wonder if a member here got it.

The band is extremely interesting, is it marked at all??