SLAP Round .30-06 & Clinometer Finds

GreenStar67

A friend of mine works in a recycling facility and rather than go through the hassle of disposal, when he finds things like this that he knows I collect he sets them aside. He has been doing this for years and eventually I'll get around to posting some of it. Anyway last week I saw him and he had the attached image stuff.

From Left to right

The round with the link on it is a SLAP Round, head-stamped "WCC 90 SLAP" the tip is slightly magnetic and sabot-ted - very cool.

The three larger rounds are head-stamped "LC 58" - they look like a shortened .50 Cal - measure around .506 inch diameter with caliper but only 4-1/2" long overall - not fired , the tip looks to be open - Maybe a spotter round?

Next is a red tip .30-06 - head-stamped "TW 43" the tip is slightly magnetic.

Next is another .30-06 with orange tip - head-stamped "WCC 53" the tip is slightly magnetic. This one looks to be a misfire as primer has a small dent.

Next is another .30-06 with Black tip- head-stamped "DEN 42" the tip is slightly magnetic.

Next is another .30-06 with Black tip- head-stamped "SL 42" the tip is slightly magnetic and has some green corrosion.

Next is another .30-06 with Black tip- head-stamped "TW 53" the tip is slightly magnetic and has slight green corrosion.

Last is a 1943 dated CLINOMETER MACHINE GUN M1917 made by EXACTLEVEL, HIGHBRIDGE, N.J. 1943 - level bubble is good and appears to be in working order.

I just thought I'd share with like-minded people. The rounds will all go in my loose round collection. It is always good to get cool stuff for nothing:)

post-157586-0-97141700-1580697198_thumb.jpg

post-157586-0-95035500-1580697226_thumb.jpg

The short .50 yellow red tip are indeed spotter/ tracer rounds,M48, for the 106 Recoiless Rifle. I have shot many of them, the 106RR had a .50 barrel attached to it, these duplicated the trajectory. They do give one hell of a show, when hitting the target they flash bang with about a four foot diameter heavy white smoke cloud. Look them up on you tube....if you don't know, the black tip are AP, the red is WW2 tracer, they changed to orange, difference being the distance out they begin to trace and intensity. A footnote: post WW2 tracers went to orange tips and red became designated as "overhead firing", loaded to higher standards.

That is all good information. Thank you. My father was a forward observer for 106RR crew in the early 1960's, 3rd Army, stationed in Germany, fighting the cold war. Sadly he is gone now, I may have a pic or two of him with his crew, have to see if I can locate.