Early fixed bail M1 HT 60B Navy grey then Army green

P-59A

I found this at the swapmeet today. Its a beater. It's missing the bales, but it still got my attention. The HT is 60B. The cork has been sanded off and it was brush painted battle ship grey then it was lightly spray painted OD. At some point it was cooked on. When you look at the dome it is very clear. The OD looks WW2 to me. If so did the Navy repaint there helmets for shore duty?

post-169522-0-45264100-1580675900_thumb.jpg

So, Navy helmets start out as the same OD green that every other helmet is being painted, in the factory they are being made. Then, when the Navy gets them, they eventually get a coat of some sort of Ship board paint. Throughout their life, the are sanded and wire brushed to get the rust off, so they can get painted again.

So, Navy helmets start out as the same OD green that every other helmet is being painted, in the factory they are being made. Then, when the Navy gets them, they eventually get a coat of some sort of Ship board paint. Throughout their life, the are sanded and wire brushed to get the rust off, so they can get painted again.

That's the thing, it was the original cork OD paint was sanded off then brush painted grey. In as far as the OD repaint, that was very lightly sprayed over the grey paint, I'm talking a very thin coat of OD paint that is flaking off. This at first glance makes it look like the OD was brushed on. To my eye's the OD looks like a WW2 paint job...I could be wrong about that. One other observation is that The original cork texture is strong around the stainless steel rim. Normally over a short period of time stainless rims are devoid of paint...I thought it odd that it looks as crisp as it does.