1st ID or 32nd ID Helmet Grouping

Military_Curator

Military_Curator

Hello all,

I am new to helmet collecting but I just picked up this helmet and holsters off of eBay. All of the items are from WW2 Veteran Albert Flexman. I am unsure which unit this helmet may be from however. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Parks

post-243138-0-31019000-1580667771_thumb.jpg

post-243138-0-68883800-1580667776_thumb.jpg

It doesn't really look like the Red Arrow division symbol. The arrow doesn't appear to be piercing a line and the arrowhead would be up. I'm no expert though, it could just be faded. If it's a German pistol holster bringback. that wouldn't fit with the 32nd Div. either.

Military_Curator

The holster on the left looks like a German P-38 holster.

I believe you are correct, it matches numerous P-38 holsters I have seen online but I am no expert on Axis firearms and firearm accessories.

Parks

It doesn't really look like the Red Arrow division symbol. The arrow doesn't appear to be piercing a line and the arrowhead would be up. I'm no expert though, it could just be faded. If it's a German pistol holster bringback. that wouldn't fit with the 32nd Div. either.

I am also unsure about the 32nd ID marking but It is somewhat similar, which is why I haven't ruled it out quite yet. I do agree that the 32nd is unlikely due to the German holster.

Parks

Burning Hazard

Parks,

Could you take a closeup photo of the helmet insignia outside in natural light? That'll be the best way to tell.

Pat

Military_Curator

Parks,

Could you take a closeup photo of the helmet insignia outside in natural light? That'll be the best way to tell.

Pat

Pat,

Sadly, I just won it on eBay so I won't receive it until later on in the week. As soon as I receive it I will send additional pictures.

Parks

In the WWI era of helmets, the 32nd Red Arrow was consistently found on the front or top. However, of the original WWII 32nd helmets I have seen, the painted Arrow is consistently found on both sides. Also, rank and rear markings are red painted. Postwar 32nd helmets seem to have followed suit with the side application of Red Arrows, but with white colored officer markings. Of course, original 32nd M1s are few and far between. A Lt. mark (in the ETO/MTO) makes more sense albeit non-specific. Look forward to more photos once you receive your lid and of course, any other info on "Albert Flexman".

I saw the description on eBay. The seller bought it from the family, so maybe they could put you in touch with the relatives. In the ad, the seller turned down his uniforms, so maybe you could also get those from the family. If you do contact the family, make sure you ask if they have any paperwork, photos, etc.

Military_Curator

Are there any markings on the holster that you can make out? I know that markings are usually on the back at the top for German holsters

Sundance,

I did not see any in the listing before he took it down. I do know the holster has some, for lack of a better term, engravings of a name and serial number for a German officer.

Parks

In the WWI era of helmets, the 32nd Red Arrow was consistently found on the front or top. However, of the original WWII 32nd helmets I have seen, the painted Arrow is consistently found on both sides. Also, rank and rear markings are red painted. Postwar 32nd helmets seem to have followed suit with the side application of Red Arrows, but with white colored officer markings. Of course, original 32nd M1s are few and far between. A Lt. mark (in the ETO/MTO) makes more sense albeit non-specific. Look forward to more photos once you receive your lid and of course, any other info on "Albert Flexman".

jpstout,

Wow, that's a lot of fantastic information! I had no idea that the 32nd ID had their insignia on the side, I thought it was usually like the 1st or 29th ID with the insignia on the front. I agree it could be a Lt mark but I am unsure as I have never seen a Lt. bar in red before.

Parks

I saw the description on eBay. The seller bought it from the family, so maybe they could put you in touch with the relatives. In the ad, the seller turned down his uniforms, so maybe you could also get those from the family. If you do contact the family, make sure you ask if they have any paperwork, photos, etc.

BEAST,

You are correct, the seller did purchase this helmet and the holsters from the family in PA. I will see if the seller could get me in contact with the family. I did ask him if he had gotten any other military items from the estate and he said these were the only military related items at the sale.

Parks

Hi Parks,

I missed that listing, so was glad Erick (Beast) saw it. That family connection will probably be the most useful information as I found a few "A Flexman" on ancestry .com, but little on the AAD. Pictures are worth a 1000 words, so I attached an identified 32nd combat helmet from WWII to give you an idea of original markings - hand painted insignia, twice, I believe. There have been some WWII helmets over the years with red rank insignia, I just do not have any archival photos at my finger tips. So, it is not unheard of. Good luck!

post-3673-0-28971200-1580774510.jpg

post-3673-0-60629500-1580774527.jpg

post-3673-0-71168500-1580774663.jpg

post-3673-0-37038900-1580774680.jpg