Wheel from a tank?

nebelwerfer

Hi,

this wheel was a ground dug near a place in Germany, where a German 88 knocket out two US tanks. But is it from one of the tanks?

I couldn´t find a matching vehicle until now, would be great if someone could help me.

It is 12 x 2,5 inch, ca. 30 x 6 cm.

Thank you,

post-4177-1231434810.jpg

post-4177-1231434823.jpg

El Bibliotecario

Going strictly from photos, it appears to be a road wheel from an M4 Sherman tank--there would have been six of these on each side of the tank, mounted in pairs of two. But no one will ever accuse me of being a tank expert.

If this were my artifact, and if I couldn't find a Sherman tank to take measurements from, I'd google the Armor Museum at Ft Knox and ask their opinion.

Thank you for your opinion,

but were the wheels für m5 an sherman not more width? I´ve got an M5 track link, an you need two of this wheels to fit between the guide pins!?

I only know this wheels which are thicker.

Thanks,

nebelwerfer

Never mind, time for me to get a pair of glasses. :blush:

The personnel carriers seem to have 6 "holes" instead of the 5 in the photos of the relic wheels.

Erwin

El Bibliotecario
Too narrow for a Tank, I think...

How about a roadwheel for a Ford T16 Carrier?

t16_sn6954_01.jpg

*ROTFLMAO*

Is this like Falstaff's rogues in buckram? Over the years since WW2 local village lore has upgraded a couple carriers to two tanks? As the Bard would say, 'oh, monsterous!'

Again, I would contact the armor musuem at Ft Knox--or some tank museum--with photos and measurements.

HI,

thank you for all your help till now.

I put the wheel on my M5 track, to show you, that it is to thin!

I will try to ask the firm if they could help me, lets see!

post-4177-1231767150.jpg

Johan Willaert

Maybe they delivered these wheels to Ford of Canade who put them on the Unversal Carrier....

I'm still pretty convinced it is from a Carrier type suspension...

Maybe they delivered these wheels to Ford of Canade who put them on the Unversal Carrier....

I'm still pretty convinced it is from a Carrier type suspension...

The tanks where knocked out on the 18th of March 1945 in the Baumholder Area, until now, I only know that it was the 94th Infantry Divsion, to whom the tanks were atached. It could be possibel, that the wheel isn´t from that event, could be come there on an other way, but thats the questinon.

Do the US Army use T16 Carriers in 1945? British or Canadian Forces weren´t here.

The history about the wheel: I get an contract in this small village to cut some trees and plant some new grass. ( I own a landscaper business)

While I´m working there, I diged out the wheel and I asked the old lady who owned the barnyard what happend there in the war. She told me the story about the 88 Flak and the knocked out tanks and the 11 German soldiers who died there on this day. There were two or more 88´s and some 2cm Flak. They secured a crossroad on the way to Baumholder, when the American Tanks rolled on. When the first two tanks (maybe Shermans from the 11th Armored oder M36 Tank destroyers from the 774th TD Bataillon who were atached to the 94th at this time) roll out the village, they were knocked out. Then the US Army tried to destroy the Guns with Infantry, but after some time fighting, they ordered an air raid on the Flak Guns. The Guns were completly destroyed.

I got a box for 2cm Flak Ammo in this village too, and on the place where the 88´s believed to stand, we found the rests of an MG 15, and some parts of the Flak (Cap of the Fuze Setting Mashine and a Cap for the electical control System and some other parts), the rest was scrapped after the war.

post-4177-1231769277.jpg

post-4177-1231769286.jpg

post-4177-1231769293.jpg

• 2 weeks later...