Packs for reenacting

Rifleman_D

So here's my question, would it be ok to have a 1945 pack dates in the 50's to use for a WWII event? Or should I just play it safe and get a dated musette or haver, etc. etc?

El Bibliotecario

Not being a reenactor (selfish person that I am, I insisted on being paid for my soldiering) my opinion might be outside the mainstream, but if the _type_ of pack was appropriate for the period--for example, if you were reenacting an event in the latter part of the war when such packs were worn, I'd say who cares about the exact date of manufacture.

People go to museums, etc, and see historical artifacts that are often worn and faded, with age and decades of use. We forget that this stuff was once new. If the purpose of reenacting is to give the public a sense of what WW2 was really like, it seems perfectly rational to me to use near new uniforms, equipment, etc, just as many replacements or units first going into combat might have worn.

The above is strictly my uninformed opinion; bone fide reenactors may feel otherwise.

So here's my question, would it be ok to have a 1945 pack dates in the 50's to use for a WWII event? Or should I just play it safe and get a dated musette or haver, etc. etc?

If it is a matter of just the date of manufacture,

If the make and model is correct yes.

If you have an Ammunition belt that is the correct style and manufacture, that was just made after the war yes you can.

If you go to an event that actually checks the dates on your equipment tell them to get a life.

I for one would love to see an event that would require all original gear in the event, with dates shown.

Do your research, make sure what you have is correct and roll with it.

thumbsup.gif

Does anyone know of any M1945 packs in use during WW2?

As far as I'm aware, No. they where developed to late.

I believe the M1944 pack/LCE (which is very similar to the M1945, bar the cargo pack attachment) was first issued to the 28th DivInf during the Rhine crossings in 1945.

Does anyone know of any M1945 packs in use during WW2?

On page 14 of the Men-At-Arms Series "The US Army in World War II (3)" they show the 89th Div crossing the Rhine with the Two Pack System March 1945. But can't tell if its the 44 or 45. Still looking for a better picture. Robert

I for one use a 45 mussette,which I took the entrenching tool attachment point off of,stenciled the U.S. there and no one has even noticed. I should also mention it is very much faded away from the 0d#7 color it once was.I also use a set of newer suspenders that I sewed 'D' rings to in a proper manner,also I made a "t" handle entrenching tool cover from a marine lower pack and people have remarked what a "nice" original I have.

On the other hand as Dirteater can tell you,they've gigged him for his original 43 dated canteen cover because it was too green.So, I say if it matches original gear in;form,function and near enuff color,go for it!

I would still use it, the differences are so minor, that most people would not notice what date your pack was mfg.

most of the helmets used in the movie Saving Private Ryan were Vietnam era repainted to look like WWII

as long as it has the look of the gear that was used its good enough for reenacting.

Captainofthe7th

As a reenactor in a unit that has fairly high standards, if you don't see it in pictures, don't use it. Most GIs in WWII used the M1910/1928 haversack. Mostly officers (and airborne, but lets not get into that) used the musette bag, and as stated above, the 44/45 pack was hardly seen in the war.

Rob

Johan Willaert

There are several WW2 pictures showing the 44 pack in use during WW2 (we even have a topic about them here somewhere), but IMO no 45 packs were used during WW2.