Korean War USAF valor group to F-80 Pilot

scottplen

This is a great group ! He was WWII vet . He also shot down a Yak jet in Nov 1950. Received the silver star

At Hamilton AFB in 1951 for action in Korea. Feb 11 1952 he was testing engines in new F-89B scorpions they were plagued with issues . 3 officially engraved 1950s USAF medals presented to his parents after his death. Also an odd engraved SS ? I believe this is the one awarded at hamilton AFB just prior to his death.

Local engraved ? He was laid to rest in Arlington NC.

post-620-0-11671700-1580600014_thumb.jpeg

post-620-0-87491100-1580600043_thumb.jpeg

post-620-0-15089100-1580600056_thumb.jpeg

I wonder if the base machine shop engraved the medal. Or, quite possibly, the engraver made a mistake and rather than trash the medal ground off the error and re-engraved the correct spelling — just some random thoughts on what seems a unique engraving on a medal. Thanks for posting the story of this brave airman and military decorations he earned in combat during the forgotten war in Korea.

• 2 months later...

Seek help on his wwii service ? Can’t seem to locate any info other than silver star card for Korea . According to article I found he was WWII air Corp and received Air medal and DFC in WWII . His air medal has 2 silver OLCs ,
Any  help appreciated .

scott

Nic 

thanks ! I could not find them . I have an article states he has air medal in WWII ? 
that’s great ! Thanks again .