WWI Pick

wleoff

This 1918 pick with hanger looks too clean to be original. The hanger looks like the right material and color, but the pick seems a little dark. Is someone reproducing these or is this one original?

WWIPick1.jpg

WWIPick2.jpg

WWIPick3.jpg

WWIPick4.jpg

Greg Robinson

Web carrier looks fine. What the markings on the wooden handle and pickmattock head? WW1 ones had US but no date.....in WW2 they dated the pickmattock head.

The WW1 example I own isn't painted green but then it's had plenty of time for the paint to wear off. I know for a fact that WW2 ones were painted.

The pick head doesn't look right to me. Any markings? My WWI doesnt have that support on the flat part and my WWII is narrower and goes all the way to the end. On the pick end both of mine are narrower. I have to recharge my camera and then I will post a picture. Robert

Thanks, for the replies. No marks anywhere on the pick- handle or head.

The carrier is good but I feel the Pick/Mattock is civilian or another country. All US ones are marked. Will post pictures as soon as I can.

craig_pickrall

ROTHCO and other surplus companies have had copies available for over 30 years. There was a demand for these picks on the civilian market and when the gov't surplus supply ran out they had copies made overseas. They aren't repros to fool collectors but simply a handy tool with a civilian market.