1886-1894 Rating Collection

carnut63

I was able to get this set for a great deal. They all came sewn together with 5 Tally's from 1890s ships. Looks like someone was trying to make a pillowcase maybe.

I spent about 4 hours unstitching it all.

post-6259-0-42969600-1580528030_thumb.jpg

They look much better separate than as a pillow case. :wacko:

Really like the CBM patch, it would go great with my Dewey medal to a CBM.

US Victory Museum

Rara Aves (Rare Birds)

Outstanding!

I recall that you once shared a similar period uniform from the USS Marblehead, so I guess that you're

not just a patch collector, but a collector of Naval uniforms and accouterments.

Not much detailed information can be found in Naval Regulations to distinguish early clothing, so I hope

that you post more of your collection, and be sure to write a bit about each photo that you post so that

others (and I) can learn the significance of what we're looking at, and how it differs from changes made

later.

Thank you for posting.

Msn

P.S.

Even if you've posted something before, if you've learned something new

or have additional detail or information to add, please update or re-post

these items. I, and others, are always interested in expanding our

understanding of early US Naval artifacts of which we seem to see very

due to their scarcity.

Those are great! My guess is that quantities of those badges were dumped as surplus when the new type were ordered in 1894. The 3-rocker CPO being only authorized a year and a half, of course. Also the one with the seaman gunner flaming shell was not a rate, but was maybe manufactured just going by the pictures in the regulations and not the details in the text.

Thanks for posting!

Those are great! My guess is that quantities of those badges were dumped as surplus when the new type were ordered in 1894. The 3-rocker CPO being only authorized a year and a half, of course. Also the one with the seaman gunner flaming shell was not a rate, but was maybe manufactured just going by the pictures in the regulations and not the details in the text.

Thanks for posting!

The chart says there was a seaman Gunner 3rd class in the 1886 circular

post-6259-0-65333800-1580593945_thumb.png

Rara Aves (Rare Birds)

Outstanding!

I recall that you once shared a similar period uniform from the USS Marblehead, so I guess that you're

not just a patch collector, but a collector of Naval uniforms and accouterments.

Not much detailed information can be found in Naval Regulations to distinguish early clothing, so I hope

that you post more of your collection, and be sure to write a bit about each photo that you post so that

others (and I) can learn the significance of what we're looking at, and how it differs from changes made

later.

Thank you for posting.

Msn

P.S.

Even if you've posted something before, if you've learned something new

or have additional detail or information to add, please update or re-post

these items. I, and others, are always interested in expanding our

understanding of early US Naval artifacts of which we seem to see very

due to their scarcity.

Thanks, I have bought (and sold) a lot over the years. I have a wonderful collection that I was to post on here, the problem is really I have no photo skills so I want them all professionally done.

The chart says there was a seaman Gunner 3rd class in the 1886 circular

attachicon.gifusn_circ_41_1885.png

Good point, I should have said it wasn't a rate anymore when those badges were used. Seaman gunner was reclassified by General Order of 1 Jan. 1886, which is why that specialty mark is treated differently in the 1886 Uniform Regulations.

post-3982-0-49275000-1580598571_thumb.jpg