New Find Army Occupation Cuba Medal. Help with Number?

johnny12550

Hi,

I found this old coin dealer today that has many old medals put away with the coins he has bought through the years. He found this one pretty easy, but has more stored away somewhere in his store. I doubt this has ever been in a collection and still retains its original ribbon. Might anyone here be able to tell me who was the recipient of this medal based on the number. Thanks

post-129350-0-77099600-1580510488.jpeg

post-129350-0-82643900-1580510502_thumb.jpeg

Cant help you with an ID. but I can say great find.

And who knows what is there.

Something you might consider is that this Medal might be part of a group.

Did the dealer have any knowledge of the concept of groups?

Bill, Thanks for the identification of the medal. I appreciate it.

Have you ever walked into one of those shops that is just filled with stuff from the floor to the ceiling? Then you have to wiggle your way through aisles because it is just so cluttered? Well, this store was one of those places. He specializes in coins, but his shop has a little bit of everything. I don't think he has any concept of grouping s and really has no interest in researching any of these items. I went in there 2 weeks ago asking for medals. He said I have named purple hearts and other medals, but I don't know where they are at. I arrived today and he still had not found them. He went into his desk drawer and pulled out this medal. I don't even think he knew he had it there. I asked for other military and he said he didn't think he had anything, so I started looking around and started to find an item here and there. I also ended up with a British Mess Dress medal group. The medals date from the 50s to mid 70s and look to have been for a Special Forces member. Unfortunately, I can't post those medals here, but they are a nice set. Another score was a silver cup to a NYNG Lt. Colonel. I found out that the event the cup describes was a Pistol shoot competition in 1925. The Colonel was a MC Captain during WW1 and was a an amateur Hot air balloon Pilot after the war. He also continued his medical career and passed in 1944. Amazingly, his address was only about 10 blocks from this shop. How he died in 1944 and this cup just traveled 10 blocks in all that time is a mystery. He also appears in some Amateur Aviation magazines of the time. Anyway, I'm going to give him time and go back in 2 weeks to see what he finds. Ill post some pics of the cup. Thanks to all for the feedback and information!!

These are all the photos. It reads:

Rhinelander Challenge Cup

Won by

Veteran Corps of Artillery

Vs

244th Coast Artillery

Individual Team Prize

Lt. Col. Jerome Kingsbury

Like I mentioned before, this was a pistol competition in 1924/25

post-129350-0-08317500-1580522477_thumb.jpeg

post-129350-0-92433200-1580522489_thumb.jpeg

Leander served with the 8th cavalry as a private. They were in Cuba pulling occupation duty from 1898 to 1902. Thanks again for the information on the medal

post-129350-0-22628000-1580579345_thumb.jpeg