Ribbon Bar question?

rocky

HI,

I would appreciate any help. Is there any way to tell a pre 45 ribbon bar from a post war ribbon bar? I noticed that not many dealers sell ribbon bars.

Thanks,

rocky

The bars made of zinc are WW2. However, even though they changed to brass at the end of the war or just shortly after, vets who got their medals after the war (Victory, campaigns) got brass as well, so I would consider them WW2 as well. Anything with a number or code hallmark stamped on the back is definately post war.

No problem, they pop up for sale here on the forum every now and then and you can get most for $1 each or less sometimes, even the WW2 ones because they are so common.

The ones I see on EBAY are $5 for a small single one and the 3 ribbons on 1 bar go for $10 and up. EBAY is quite high on them. That is why I was asking.

Thanks again,

Rocky

olivedrab1970

The ones I see on EBAY are $5 for a small single one and the 3 ribbons on 1 bar go for $10 and up. EBAY is quite high on them. That is why I was asking.

Thanks again,

Rocky

If you get out to a military collectible show you can usually get some good ribbons at a descent price, Ebay does have some good deals on occasion dependent on what your needing, keep in mind sellers on ebay are having to add ebay fee's and shipping in most cases. Like most things it is knowing what to look for and their value.

Robin-

Sorry I should have more clear, I meant the basic single ones only. Singles for purple heart, silver star, etc will go for more. Ebay is tough if you are just buying one like the previous post mentioned. Best shot is buy groups of them and keep the ones you want and try to sell or gift the rest. If there's a show near you (or even post a want ad on the forum) most sellers there would give you a good deal because there's always a few who have a pile of them that they just want to get rid of. Unless someone is looking for one that's not so common, the only buyers are typically new collectors and ones doing uniform restorations.

Thanks for all the information. A guy I know has these ribbon bars. He wants to sell me the whole lot along with the pins. What would be a reasonable price for this lot.

Thanks.

rocky

post-52278-0-27623300-1580758160.jpg

I went over to the guys house that has these and I was hoping to get a ball park price from you guys before I went. I am unfamiliar with some of the pins so I asked him to sell me the ribbon bars. I got all of them for $70, He wanted $200 for the whole case. What do you think of the price for the ribbon bars?

Thanks,

rocky

You ended up paying about $2 per ribbon and most were mounted so you can consider the bars as being "freebies.". I think you got an OK deal.

Allan

olivedrab1970

I went over to the guys house that has these and I was hoping to get a ball park price from you guys before I went. I am unfamiliar with some of the pins so I asked him to sell me the ribbon bars. I got all of them for $70, He wanted $200 for the whole case. What do you think of the price for the ribbon bars?

Thanks,

rocky

Great Deal! I can use one or two of those myself, I have a USMC PFC uniform needing a 1/2 ribbon bar. Iwo vet 3rd Marines.

Robin-

Thank You. There is also a dress buckle with a plane on it and those unit pins.

rocky

The Distinctive Unit Insignias (DUIs) are usually $1-5 each unless it's a really rare or desirable airborne or special forces unit crest.

When Manayunkman says $100 for the whole tray, I am sure he is meaning WITH the ribbons. I personally think you would be hard pressed find $30 worth on the items that were left after the ribbons were removed.

Allan