Local VN USMC Medal Group Controversy in the News

crotalus358

Maybe officer medals were engraved by a different source?

Who knows ? Always something new to learn with this hobby !

I have a hand engraved Korean War army KIA so guess there are vast variations?

IMO the media outlet that shoddily reported this story did the auction house and, in a way, the family a huge disservice. A little bit of research on their part would have shown that the family was incorrect about the medals being "fake". I'll bet the family has his awarded medals or another set of engraved medals and just doesn't realize that more than one set can exist.

veteransfootlocker

To set the record straight, this was the response to an email where he started out by wanting to bring a suit against the auction house. These medals were consigned by Jeff Floyd a well respected dealer/collector in the business. We understand that this is a hot button issue with the family but needless to say, our responsibilities are to the consignor not a family member of who we do not know. It is easy to cast dispersion's on us but realistically what would you do? Would you call Jeff a liar? I've known him for many years and I can tell you he is a man of the upmost highest character. Also, at no point was any representative disrespectful to the family, PERIOD!

Thank you miles , my attorney will contact you tomorrow

Sincerely
Kelly Bird

Sent from my iPhone

On
Jan 23
, 2020, at 2:26 PM, Milestone Auctions <
> wrote:

Kelly,
Please take a moment and look at this from our perspective. We have an obligation to our consignor of the medals. As you are very aware it is possible and very common that duplicates of medals were made. You are asking me basically to call my consignor a "liar" and that the medals are fake. You have offered no proof that is the case. They are not stolen as we are all aware. We gave all the information we could about the medals to the detectives you had meet us and they said we are doing nothing wrong. If you had some proof I could present to my consignor regarding the authenticity of the medals I would consider pulling the lot. But you don't. I have spoke with the consignor about the situation and he feels they are authentic. So you understand he is a very knowledgeable collector that been in the hobby over 40 years. We are just brokers putting buyers and sellers together. We do our best to make sure items are authentic.
I'm sorry this situation is so upsetting. I'm sure your medals are a family heirloom and cherished by you all. But the facts are it looks at some point another set of medals were made and sold. Please look at the big picture and see this takes nothing away from your medals and the legacy of your family member. If anything be proud there is interest in his legacy by collectors. It shows his courage and sacrifice is being honored. If you have any other further questions please email or feel free to give me a call.
Respectfully,
Miles King
President