WWI Purple Heart- Gas attack only

gijoeonthego

What percentage of your collection that you have documentation that has the word "gassed" or a variation of the word gas. Gas is the key word. Some Veterans were "slightly wounded" due to a gas attack that qualified for the first set of 1932 guidelines. I'm not counting that and No WIA, DOW, No KIA, No posthumously. The reason I am asking is, after WWI gassing wasn't common for other wars. Rules changed for recipient later. Remember, just the first regulations of 1932 I'm asking about.

My grandfather Laurence F. Kell served in Battery A, 17th Field Artillery in the 2nd Division AEF. I have his WWI discharge that lists him as having been Gassed in the wounds section of the discharge. He never applied for a Purple Heart, but his 1947 dated death certificate lists his cause of death as "complications from being gassed."

Allan

John Ernest Wicker received a Purple Heart for being gassed as a Corpsman serving with the Marines. Here are a couple of letters dealing with his award.

post-9487-0-54713500-1580398249_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-51962600-1580398255_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-48703000-1580398262_thumb.jpg

John Ernest Wicker was born in Burlington, North Carolina on February 26, 1899. He graduated from High School in Graham, North Carolina, and enlisted in the United Stated Navy at Raleigh, North Carolina on August 16, 1917. After basic training at Newport, Rhode Island he was assigned to the Hospital Corps. After completing training at the League Island Naval Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Wicker was rated as Hospital Apprentice 1st class. He was then assigned to the Second Replacement Battalion, Second Division, United States Marine Corps, American Expeditionary Force, in France. In September Wicker was assigned to the 81st Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, United States Marine Corps. The Marine Corps had no medical personnel of its own and relied on the United States Navy for its medical requirements. Whenever a Marine was wounded on the field of battle he would call out for a “Corpsman!” This would attract a Pharmacist’s Mate or Hospital Apprentice from the Navy Medical Department to his side to render first aid. Navy Corpsmen were among the most highly decorated in the entire American Expeditionary Force, 146 Navy Corpsmen were wounded and 16 killed in action while attached to the Marine Corps during World War One. Wicker “engaged in the advance from Limeyto, and the capture of Thieacort, Jualny and Xammes in the Mihiel Sector from 12 to 13 September 1918. And in open warfare against the enemy in Champagne Sector, France, taking part in capture of Blanc Mont and St. Etienne. (Signed) T.S. Moring, Surgeon, United States Navy.” Wicker was gassed on September 5, 1918 and spent a year at the Naval Hospital, Norfolk, Virginia before returning to duty. In 1926 Wicker was assigned to serve on the USS Isabel based in Shanghai, China. The Isabel served as a member of the Yangtze patrol and as its flagship. Based at Shanghai, USS Isabel spent the low-water period on the river at Hankow returning to the coast in the summer. She and the other small gunboats of the U.S. Navy in China performed the arduous task of protecting American interests during numerous incidents and threats to American nationals.

Wicker retired from the Navy as a Pharmacist’s Mate Second Class in 1929. He later served as an Attorney in the District of Columbia for the Federal Communications Commission. John Ernest Wicker died in Arlington, Virginia on August 24, 1963. He is buried at the Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia.

Wow and more WOW. What a grouping with a great paper trail from NO to eventually a YES! To all Veterans or Next Of Kin, keep pursuing your medals. I did that and received a Silver Star and 3 more awards including an EXTRA clasp on his WWIVM for my WWI Grandfather. Now they are on display with all the other family's military history in my home.

My grandfather Laurence F. Kell served in Battery A, 17th Field Artillery in the 2nd Division AEF. I have his WWI discharge that lists him as having been Gassed in the wounds section of the discharge. He never applied for a Purple Heart, but his 1947 dated death certificate lists his cause of death as "complications from being gassed."

Allan

By having his death as service related, may have been a way of making sure his wife received social security or other benefits upon his death.....Bodes